Scoly tried to kill my other scoly. Why

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this green scoly for a year and a half. And he's a jerk. He's killed multiple other corals. He is like Spiderman with his guts flinging them all over the place.
I got my favorite coral ever, a warpaint scoly a couple days ago. Everything's been fine. They weren't touching just near each other. I come home today and this dude is trying to take the warpaint out. It had the guts on it. I peeled them off and moved the warpaint away. It has a little haze or film over it. Should I dip it in seachem reef dip? Iodine based... and why am I getting scoly on scoly crime?

Hypan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I’ve always had good luck keeping scolys in close proximity. I’d probably dip the victim and give it a little flow so any dead or damaged tissue can be washed away as it heals. Got any pics of the two? I guess they could feel encroached upon if they have settled in.

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I’ve always had good luck keeping scolys in close proximity. I’d probably dip the victim and give it a little flow so any dead or damaged tissue can be washed away as it heals. Got any pics of the two? I guess they could feel encroached upon if they have settled in.

received_529985641960289.jpeg

20220426_001209.jpg

Attachments

• 20220426_001209.jpg
    20220426_001209.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have time to get to get pics of them together but I put the warpaint on the sand/rock at like a 60 degree angle beneath/beside the green one

Hypan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that last pic the same coral? That last pic would make me say lobo.

Acanthos have been called “scolys” for some time. You could say they are the O.G. Scoly. Before Australia really opened up these were what everyone called a scoly. They do have many names though. Modern, meat, donut.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Acanthos have been called “scolys” for some time. You could say they are the O.G. Scoly. Before Australia really opened up these were what everyone called a scoly. They do have many names though. Modern, meat, donut.
I agree that in the last pic it looks like a lobo or even an acan pachysepta, either way I think it’s definitely not a scoly. I guess if it pops out another polyp you’ll know if it’s a lobo/pachysepta or an acantho.

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That picture was the first day or so I had it in my tank, since then it hasn't looked like that and has changed into every other picture.

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that in the last pic it looks like a lobo or even an acan pachysepta, either way I think it’s definitely not a scoly. I guess if it pops out another polyp you’ll know if it’s a lobo/pachysepta or an acantho.
I've had it for like 18months not even a sign of another polyp

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Lobos can look a lot like a Scoly. And some Acanthastrea can look a lot like a Lobo.

I bought this one a good while back as an 'Ultra Lobo' and it had a very uniform donut-like appearance that eventually became more irregular. It certainly lived up to the Ultra name, as in 'Ultra Aggressive':

Scolly Attack1 091314.jpg

Scolly Attack2 091314.jpg

This one also had no hint of any budding polyps in the many months that I had it. The kind of aggressive nature displayed is typical for Acanthastrea pachysepta, but I must admit that the singular polyp nature is a bit puzzling.

This is my current Acanthastrea pachysepta with very typical 'Lobo' coloration and multi-polyp mini-colony configuration:

Tres Lobos_110521.jpg

True to it's type, it's also very aggressive:

Last edited:

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only scolys that are close to touching in my tank is the same scoly, I had cut them. The others have room between them just to be on the safe side. I have checked at night, no warfare.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back