Scooter blenny and mandarin dragonet and feeding?

Jendee3773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have been reading lots of threads here over the past year but this is my first question that I haven’t really come across being already discussed yet. I have a 220 gallon system that has been up and running a little over a year. I just added a scooter blenny (named Scooter, yes, I’m one of those that names their fish) and I absolutely love him and would like to add a Mandarin dragonette it in the future. I did add copepods to the system, something called “tiger pods“ by reef nutrition when I added Scooter. I want to make sure that he and my future Mandarin would get plenty of food. How often should I add these to my system? Is there a way that I would be able to tell if he/they aren’t getting enough food? I haven’t seen scooter eat anything frozen but my fish descend upon food like crazy so I don’t think trying to target feed him will be very successful. Thoughts and suggestions? Go Reefers!!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I have heard that if you had a sufficient supply and breeding population at the beginning, in a 220 gal tank it should repopulate itself. That being said, I plan on adding a mandarin to my 225 gal tank that I'm building and I will add a couple of jars of pods from Algaebarn monthly anyway. If for some reason I start to see a over population of pods then I may scale it back, but mandarins and such will constantly eat, they don't have a stop button.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two mandarins in my 65 gallon with a refugium. I haven’t had to repopulate the copepods since the first time I did it two years ago. There is no issues with either, as a matter in fact they look like little frogs with their big guts. After about six months I noticed that both of them take frozen food when I feed the tank so a 220 should have no issues at all.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME to R2R! Looks like answers are rolling your way and good ones thus far. Each fish is different so be prepared to respond to their individual needs accordingly.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size great, maturity great but you need a lot of rock which Iam assuming you have and if so, and, they are the only two exclusive pod eaters, put them in, I have never added a pod in 4 years now.
78893B00-997F-4365-BFBA-BE783EC60916.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jendee3773 - Welcome to Reef2Reef! There may be nobody that can give you a better answer than Chad @Reef Nutrition! He is truly good people and is very knowledgeable! We're glad you're here!

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have been reading lots of threads here over the past year but this is my first question that I haven’t really come across being already discussed yet. I have a 220 gallon system that has been up and running a little over a year. I just added a scooter blenny (named Scooter, yes, I’m one of those that names their fish) and I absolutely love him and would like to add a Mandarin dragonette it in the future. I did add copepods to the system, something called “tiger pods“ by reef nutrition when I added Scooter. I want to make sure that he and my future Mandarin would get plenty of food. How often should I add these to my system? Is there a way that I would be able to tell if he/they aren’t getting enough food? I haven’t seen scooter eat anything frozen but my fish descend upon food like crazy so I don’t think trying to target feed him will be very successful. Thoughts and suggestions? Go Reefers!!
Hello and welcome to the channel.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back