Scooter blenny and mandarin dragonet and feeding?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R
ZomboMeme 28102020230624.jpg
ZomboMeme 28102020230624.jpg

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept an ORA mando in my 20g with spot feeding daily plus pods, still wasnt enough tho :(
220g you would do great without frozen feeding, pods alone, just make sure you have a booming population. If you really do want to spot feed you can try an ORA mando, but they cost about $60 more. Great fish though, I might want to retry it once I get a bigger tank. (im talking like 180g or smth lol)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi! I have been reading lots of threads here over the past year but this is my first question that I haven’t really come across being already discussed yet. I have a 220 gallon system that has been up and running a little over a year. I just added a scooter blenny (named Scooter, yes, I’m one of those that names their fish) and I absolutely love him and would like to add a Mandarin dragonette it in the future. I did add copepods to the system, something called “tiger pods“ by reef nutrition when I added Scooter. I want to make sure that he and my future Mandarin would get plenty of food. How often should I add these to my system? Is there a way that I would be able to tell if he/they aren’t getting enough food? I haven’t seen scooter eat anything frozen but my fish descend upon food like crazy so I don’t think trying to target feed him will be very successful. Thoughts and suggestions? Go Reefers!!
Rotifers, baby brine shrimp, live brine and pods

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi! Thanks for the reply. Where would I find your recommendations? Do I need to hatch the shrimp or is there a source. All I can find is the tiger pods.
By me in Wisconsin, pet store has live brine. Baby brine easy to hatch yourself
Rotifiers- reef nutrition and possibly algae barn has them.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Target Mandarin, if you ever have any questions feel free to message me. If you're concerned about nutrition they can be trained to eat prepared with some effort. I also recommend a copepod growing kit from poseidon reefs systems to grow your own as they are very expensive and you don't get that many from purchased packs.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have been reading lots of threads here over the past year but this is my first question that I haven’t really come across being already discussed yet. I have a 220 gallon system that has been up and running a little over a year. I just added a scooter blenny (named Scooter, yes, I’m one of those that names their fish) and I absolutely love him and would like to add a Mandarin dragonette it in the future. I did add copepods to the system, something called “tiger pods“ by reef nutrition when I added Scooter. I want to make sure that he and my future Mandarin would get plenty of food. How often should I add these to my system? Is there a way that I would be able to tell if he/they aren’t getting enough food? I haven’t seen scooter eat anything frozen but my fish descend upon food like crazy so I don’t think trying to target feed him will be very successful. Thoughts and suggestions? Go Reefers!!

Not sure if you have a fuge from your post. If you do, it should be fine for only 2 pod eaters in your size tank. The scooter should eat less than the mandarin, but that size tank should allow pods to repopulate easily easily in your sump. If you don't have a fuge, then just make sure you have LOTS of rock to compensate for the missing fuge for safe pod repopulation.

The problem only comes from folks with significantly smaller tanks trying to put two pod eaters in. It can be done successfully, but you'll have constantly buy pods ($$$) or DIY hatch. Both are time or $$$ consuming. You should be good.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one of each. The mandarin will only eat pods which has gotten pricey since my fail at a HOB fuge but the lil scooter blenny I have I have seen him eat thawed mysis, baby brine shrimp, cyclops (frozen pods). Just love love love blue mandarins so I deal with it def. the coolest fish in my tank.

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made a great choice with this fish! I love the mandarins! Honestly, if you add some pods to a tank that's been around for a year, you're likely to have enough pods in a tank that size for a LONG time. I've kept mandarins for years without needing to resupply on pods.

I actually just ordered another pair myself, you can check out my video here for some more info on these guys :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back