Scopas tang keeping mouth open

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I've got a scopas tang that is keeping it's mouth open at all times. It went through a QT of 2 prazi doses and observation. It is now in my DT. Up until now it would charge the nori sheet with the rest of my tangs and eat frozen food no problem. Now it eyeballs everything which makes me think it can't operate its mouth.

Mouth open at all times
From what I can see no obstruction
Sprints to food but then can't eat
Breathing seems normal
Still comes out and swims the tank
Teeth seem to protrude out, I don't recall seeing this in the past but I wasn't really looking either

I noticed this yesterday. I'm going to put another nori sheet in once lights are on and watch his behavior. I did add a torch coral the night before this appeared and it was placed near where he normally sleeps. My tank is mostly sticks so I wonder if the movement maybe attracted him? I have a small gigantea anemone. Bristle worms too. I'm almost wondering if he got stung or tried to nibble something he shouldn't have. I guess it could be a physical injury as well but he's a pretty mellow fish, largest tang in the group.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0215.jpg

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to my yellow tang after dosing prazi / general cure. It eventually resolved. I did use epsom salt to treat it. I’m not sure if it made a difference but the fish survived. I would recommend removing the prazi and research epsom salt dosing. Can do water change or use carbon. I also helped a person a few months back with same issue but the fish didn’t make it. I suspect it’s a reaction to the meds that happened in some tangs. Good luck

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to my yellow tang after dosing prazi / general cure. It eventually resolved. I did use epsom salt to treat it. I’m not sure if it made a difference but the fish survived. I would recommend removing the prazi and research epsom salt dosing. Can do water change or use carbon. I also helped a person a few months back with same issue but the fish didn’t make it. I suspect it’s a reaction to the meds that happened in some tangs. Good luck
Thanks, sorry if I wasn't clear.

This fish was in QT with prazi about 1 month ago. Then observation, making sure he ate. He's been in the display for a few weeks now and was eating up until recently. I don't recall his mouth looking like it does now though.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it’s going to be difficult to catch it to treat it with anything. Might be best to just hope it gets better and hope it was a sting or some other toxin and Hope it heals. It’s some type of angioedema or throat swelling. Epsom salt helps by changing osmotic pressure and prevents swelling from worsening. I don’t think there’s any way to know for sure what triggered it

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. If he doesn't get better I'll try and trap him and treat in my QT. Only bummer is he's not aggressive at all so my mirror on the back of the fish trap trick won't work but maybe food will still entice him enough to go in.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scopas tang in QT right now. Was going to be dosing GC or prazi after copper, but maybe not now...

Now saying that, I'm curious about the mentions of epsom salt for treating this issue.... what does epsom salt do for marine (saltwater) fish? As far as I know, epsom salt is only used for freshwater fish, but has little to no effect on saltwater fish because there is already an abundance of salt (including magnesium and sulfur) in saltwater. Adding a tiny additional amount of epsom salt (1 tablespoon per gallon) isn't going to change anything.

When we mix saltwater, we are mixing a half a cup of salt per gallon of water, give or take... adding another TABLESPOON of epsom salt per gallon of water isn't going to have any meaningful affect on any marine fishes or their ailments. Epsom salts doesn't do much of anything for marine fishes, who are already swimming around in higher levels of the stuff than the recommended treatments call for.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scopas tang in QT right now. Was going to be dosing GC or prazi after copper, but maybe not now...
I wouldnt hesitate to use either of those treatments after copper. I don’t feel this was due to that treatment in my case. I think it was injury of some kind that got infected while in the display. I’ve put a lot of tangs through GC and also praizpro with no issue personally.

I feel like there was a thread by humble fish that mentioned epsom salt but I could be mistaken. I believe for constipation?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt hesitate to use either of those treatments after copper. I don’t feel this was due to that treatment in my case. I think it was injury of some kind that got infected while in the display. I’ve put a lot of tangs through GC and also praizpro with no issue personally.

I feel like there was a thread by humble fish that mentioned epsom salt but I could be mistaken. I believe for constipation?

That sure looks like an injury to me. The lack of rapid breathing, interest in food (but not eating) both point to that. I've seen this in angelfish and tangs, but the cases I've seen were when the fish snagged its teeth in a net. Not exactly sure how this could happen to a fish just swimming around in a tank.

Trouble is, there isn't much you can do for an injury like this, one that doesn't appear to be infected.

Jay

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's just an injury that hopefully will heel on its on.

I have a tang that does nothing but aggressively picks at rocks all day long. I mean, this fish hits the rocks hard with his mouth and I've literally never seen his mouth closed lol.

This is what I use for general fish injuries, maybe it can help if it gets too bad..... https://amzn.to/3g1fMIR

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unfortunately it is starting to look infected or if it’s a fungus it’s growing more. I ordered some sulfaplex. Once it arrives I’ll catch him at treat.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back