Scored a free light today... trying to find out what it can support

AndyR83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I had the good fortune to stumble upon a Facebook marketplace listing for a local fish store that was giving away all kinds of free or almost free stuff. Apparently two companies are merging and planning to focus more on commercial aquarium service and less on retail. As such, they needed to unload lots of items to downsize from a massive storage unit. While perusing the many shelves in the storage unit (it was truly overwhelming... I could’ve spent hours there and not seen everything there was to see,) I picked up two light fixtures.

The first light I picked up today (for fifteen bucks!) is a 48” Fluval Marine and Reef 2.0 LED. It’s new/never used and was just missing the box. I have a Fluval AquaSky on a freshwater tank which I’ve found to be pretty good and am hoping this is one is decent as well. It’s very similar to the one I have.

As I was leaving, I happened to see a giant 12 bulb light leaning up against the wall. To my amazement, when I asked how much the light was selling for, the owner said “You know what? You can just take it.”

This label is on the side of the light:
3205BD5B-7BB5-4429-994E-FABC93B733CB.jpeg

I Googled the model number, and this seems to be it:
AquaticLife 72” T5 12x39W

I know this is a pretty diesel light, but I’ve not been able to find much in the way of reviews or specs. From what I can see, it seems to have all the stock bulbs and they all seem pretty dang bright. There are some LEDs on it as well. I have no idea how many hours are on these bulbs, but I was told it was “barely ever used.” I’m wondering what kind of PAR to expect from this light and what kind of corals it can be reasonably expected to support.

To date I’ve only been keeping soft corals, a bubble tip anemone, and one easy LPS, and I’m wondering if this might open the door to a wider variety of coral options. For the record, my current saltwater tank is a 55g and the lighting consists of a 48” Current Orbit Marine LED fixture and 2x 46” T5 54W bulbs (one FluvalSea Actinic and one Fluval Life Spectrum.) Thanks to some other items I picked up today I’m hoping to move up to a bigger display tank in the near future. Not certain exactly what size it’ll be yet.

Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 bulb or 6 bulb? 6 bulb is 39w bulbs I believe.

12 bulbs. 2x 6x39w

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 bulbs. 2x 6x39w

That's right. There was a 4 bulb version too if I remember correctly.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw some ATi or geismanns in there and it'll grow anything. Bulb combination is up to you, buy a few extra's and experiment.

Quite a few reefers still use and prefer T5's like myself.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back