scotts fairy or exquisite wrasse??

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the title says it all.. which one would you rather have.. i am wanting to get one and not sure of the one i want... i like the looks of both... and does anyone have any experience with either of them

GrouperGenius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the area collected. Most exquisite wrasses come from Bali area. Some of those spots are still using drugs to dumb down the fish for catching.

I personally LOVE the exquisite wrasse, but I'll let my LFS hold and treat them for a couple weeks before I take delivery.

Edit: BTW, I had a Scott's fairy for a few weeks before he beat the crud out of himself. Mine was very skittish and I think they need ALOT of room. Maybe just the one I had, but he would bounce around the canopy everytime I approached the tank.

Last edited:

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take the exquisite wrasse over the Scotts. The Scotts is known to be a bully, so I avoided that one and went with an exquisite. I also have 5 other varieties of Fairy Wrasses, so that is also why no Scotts.

They are actually collected from 3 regions: West Pacific Ocean, Coral Sea and Indian. Kevin wrote a great piece on the exquisite that you should check out: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1592185

Mine is the Africian variant.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: BTW, I had a Scott's fairy for a few weeks before he beat the crud out of himself. Mine was very skittish and I think they need ALOT of room. Maybe just the one I had, but he would bounce around the canopy everytime I approached the tank.

+1

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good thread, I am trying to decide to.

OP
OP
acanman

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take the exquisite wrasse over the Scotts. The Scotts is known to be a bully, so I avoided that one and went with an exquisite. I also have 5 other varieties of Fairy Wrasses, so that is also why no Scotts.

They are actually collected from 3 regions: West Pacific Ocean, Coral Sea and Indian. Kevin wrote a great piece on the exquisite that you should check out: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1592185

Mine is the Africian variant.
ive heard the exact opposite about the scotts fairy i have heard they are really shy....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea me too! LOL!

OP
OP
acanman

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think im going to go with the african exquisite..... but might still get the scotts also..

amore169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had both, the Scott's fairy was very active somehow he would be in charge of the tank, on the other hand the Exquisite was very mellow would get along with everyone, lost all the wrasses I previously bought due to them jumping out of the aquarium, promise myself not to get anymore till I have the right set up for them.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive heard the exact opposite about the scotts fairy i have heard they are really shy....

The Cirrhilabrus family of wrasses are the most peaceful, but the Scotts is the largest bully in that family of wrasses. If you ever plan to have more than one fairy wrasse in your tank, don't add a Scotts.

Trust me, I know my wrasses and have friends in the industry that have informed me wisely on my wrasse choices in my tanks ;)

OP
OP
acanman

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks... but i have a drawback... i dont have a cover on my tank... but have never really had any problems with fish jumping out... what do you guys think? i mean i have a purple firefish in there and there soposed to be jumpers and no problem

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott's don't hold their color as well w/o a female. A fairy will jump, not if just when. There are nicer fairies out there IMO but prices to go along with them (unfortunately).

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it was me i would go with an exqusite from Vanatua..but also keep in mind that the scott's and exqusite will fade alot without females in the tank..also if you love your fairys you are going to need a top..it is a must fairy wrasses will jump not if but when...i tried it without years ago and had to learn the hard way...Scotts are known to be a very aggressive one of the most aggressive fairys out there

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont have a cover over the top of your tank, then you are throwing your money away. Wrasses will jump out, it's just a matter of time, but guaranteed they will.
I have well over 20 fairies and flashers now and have lost many in the past due to poor cover designs.
Even if there is a half inch hole in the top, they will eventually get out.

IMG_5651.jpg

OP
OP
acanman

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about a glass top? will that do the trick.. cause my fixture is a hung 48 nova extreme pro..

Beach Bum

Beach Bum
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for sure you need a top.I have lost ,many due to no top. Eggcate will work for only so long. Plus remember if you go glass top your temp will rise as well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back