Screwed up my salinity

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had some BJD problems and I did a 50% water change, little did I know I I grabbed the wrong bucket and was adding a lot of freshwater to the tank. Brought my ppt from 30.2 ( 1.022) to 25.9 (1.0196) I am out of saltwater and my lfs are closed. My corals are in a tray on my counter with no lights or water movement. I need a quick solution. I know corals can’t survive at a Ppt of 1.019. I can’t get to the store until tomorrow.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to find someone local to give you salt or water or leave them in the tray until tomorrow. I don't really see any choices.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A couple of suggestions. . . . . .

- know anyone with a saltwater tank, you can borrow either salt or saltwater from?
- check craigslist as someone may have salt for sale or write any sellers selling their tank and see if theyre will to part w/salt
- see if any local clubs in your area and see if anyone can help you with salt or seawater

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have enough saltwater they should be okay until tomorrow if you go in the morning.. try to keep temp. same as the tank was if you have a smaller heater.

but as said above ask friends or neighbors or anyone with a saltwater tank if you can have or buy some of their salt.

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to find someone local to give you salt or water or leave them in the tray until tomorrow. I don't really see any choices.
I might have a spot for them to move temporarily. I do have a half bucket of fresh and my friend has salt, I have never made my own salt water before though. I understand I would have to make it saltier than usual to bring the ppt up.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have a spot for them to move temporarily. I do have a half bucket of fresh and my friend has salt, I have never made my own salt water before though. I understand I would have to make it saltier than usual to bring the ppt up.
Your friend can probably text you a picture of the mixing instructions.
For instance my particular salt mix is 1/2 cup per gallon. I mix in a bucket with a powerhead.

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your friend can probably text you a picture of the mixing instructions.
For instance my particular salt mix is 1/2 cup per gallon. I mix in a bucket with a powerhead.
And if I can’t get any, tomorrow I can do a 60% water change without any harm to my clowns?

Back