Scribbled and Regal Angel showing distress with CP

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a regal angel and scribbled in CP since 9/6 (14 days) Last two days they have been lethargic and just grazing at food... before they were destroying food.... can I safely abort the CP for them (I have 2 tangs in there as well doing fine).... or am I risking infestation in my display? No signs of anything that I can tell or see. THank you

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 You'd be risking the display if you abort QT at this point. Keep it up. Have you seen any white stringy poop come out of these guys?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no stringy stuff I prazi before CP

Prazi wont always take care of internal parasites. IME it rarely does and instead needs metroplex. Of course General Cure would take care of both problems since it has prazi and metro in powder form. As long a they are having normal bowl movements I wouldn't worry about that, though.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could move the angels (and the tangs) to a non-medicated HT that is at least 10 feet away from the QT. Just to get them out of medication and see if that alone perks them up.

FWIW; I've treated both Regals & Scribbleds in CP without issue.

OP
OP
E

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could move the angels (and the tangs) to a non-medicated HT that is at least 10 feet away from the QT. Just to get them out of medication and see if that alone perks them up.

FWIW; I've treated both Regals & Scribbleds in CP without issue.

If I take them out. Does that restart the clock on the CP treatment. So when they go back in. I have to start a brand new 30 day treatment?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I take them out. Does that restart the clock on the CP treatment. So when they go back in. I have to start a brand new 30 day treatment?

Not if you move them without lowering the therapeutic level beforehand. The clock restarts only if you lower the level and keep them in the same QT.

OP
OP
E

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I take the angels out. They would be in normal salt water no cp. so if I do that. When I put them back. I need to restart the 30 day clock right

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I take the angels out. They would be in normal salt water no cp. so if I do that. When I put them back. I need to restart the 30 day clock right

2 weeks of CP (or copper) treatment is all that is needed IF you can transfer the fish to a non-medicated HT post treatment. Because you are leaving any external parasite issues behind in the original treatment tank, and the presence of CP/copper has shielded your fish from reinfection. The 30 day rule only applies if you have just one QT to work with, and must lower the chemical after 30 days and keep the fish in the same tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks of CP (or copper) treatment is all that is needed IF you can transfer the fish to a non-medicated HT post treatment. Because you are leaving any external parasite issues behind in the original treatment tank, and the presence of CP/copper has shielded your fish from reinfection. The 30 day rule only applies if you have just one QT to work with, and must lower the chemical after 30 days and keep the fish in the same tank.
Hope I'm not hijacking, but why not move them directly into the DT at this point? What is the benefit of going to a non-medicated HT?

OP
OP
E

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So need some clarification here..... If all my fish in the Display have been through full QT
and 2 weeks exceeds the infestation of the fish on the ick (where they drop off the fish into tormont stage) and they are immune to getting re-infested. Why cant they go in display as opposed to HT (and since display has only 5 fish that was in QT for 45 days)..... Im probably going HT but just want to understand better

Also if CP is supposed to kill ich...... then what can possibly be in the tank after 30 days? that could cause re-infesting

Hope I'm not hijacking, but why not move them directly into the DT at this point? What is the benefit of going to a non-medicated HT?
+1

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So need some clarification here..... If all my fish in the Display have been through full QT
and 2 weeks exceeds the infestation of the fish on the ick (where they drop off the fish into tormont stage) and they are immune to getting re-infested. Why cant they go in display as opposed to HT (and since display has only 5 fish that was in QT for 45 days)..... Im probably going HT but just want to understand better

Think of the HT as a safety net or insurance policy. You want to be sure that symptoms do not return i.e. the fish is truly disease-free before placing in your DT. Besides, there is always the chance a secondary infection could pop up.

Understand the 14 day treatment and then transfer to a non-medicated HT is still theoretical. Although it has worked for me every time I have done it for 4+ years now. Treat the fish for external parasites/worms for 10 days (I'm trying to get it down to minimal exposure time to meds) and then transfer the fish. DO NOT lower any medication levels prior to transferring. Any diseases are left behind in the original treatment tank and the fish gets a clean slate in the new HT. Only issue I run into is something a secondary infection will develop in the HT requiring antibiotic treatment.

OP
OP
E

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive asked this question before. And i know you say not combine liquid prazi w\ CP.... but can i combine anything else with CP to treat for worms and Ick at the same time ?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive asked this question before. And i know you say not combine liquid prazi w\ CP.... but can i combine anything else with CP to treat for worms and Ick at the same time ?

Powder praziquantel, metro, antibiotics; although I'm still trying to work out the kinks of dissolving powder prazi without using ethyl alcohol. o_O

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back