Scurvy’s Mad Wrasse 110

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Always a work in progress down there. We only disco when Katrina pops in to visit ;)

@Fudsey I had forgotten all about the 40B swap. Lets try and figure something out over the next couple of weeks.

Maybe he can join us when I come out :D

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snail parade!

FDAD7045-7973-4227-85D8-C8DF1B498EC5.jpeg

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the trident doing?
Its doing its thing. Alk tests lower than my Hanna. Calcium/Mag higher than Red Sea. I'm dosing only BRS Alkalinity right now to try and let the Calc/Mag numbers fall a bit before resuming Triton. My Triton report had Mag closer to the Trident number than Red Sea so Im assuming those to be more accurate than my own titrations.

Overall I'm happy with it however like the Apex initially I find myself checking in on it too often. Im sure that’ll wain though.

I haven't let it take over dosing control and am not sure if I will. Need to see how many others are using it effectively with Triton and the DOS staggering additives and such. I've read conflicting information on it to this point.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Anthias looks like a ballon for the sail parade.

My trident seems to be .5 lower then Hanna alk tester.
Ha, So True!

Good to hear your alk checks lower as well. Not sure what would be most accurate but we need to trust one of the numbers we get so I'll choose to rely on the Trident otherwise what's the point?

Have you run a calibration yet? I have not. It's been running 6 days now so I supose I could but seems like a lot of work flushing/priming lines. I'll get bored enough at some point and just do it Im sure. Probably when i swap the Alk test bottle.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, So True!

Good to hear your alk checks lower as well. Not sure what would be most accurate but we need to trust one of the numbers we get so I'll choose to rely on the Trident otherwise what's the point?

Have you run a calibration yet? I have not. It's been running 6 days now so I supose I could but seems like a lot of work flushing/priming lines. I'll get bored enough at some point and just do it Im sure. Probably when i swap the Alk test bottle.
I did calibrate mine. It is easy pull line from tank and stick in calibration fluid and let it do it’s thing. After it’s done put line back in sump. Just make sure you have a couple hours before the next scheduled test.

I think Hanna alk tester is only accurate to .5

Love my trident waited for one then got it and week later my Acro all start browning. Guess I could have saved $600. Oh well

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We picked up some additional Brightwell Bio-Media to add to the sump. Soaked 24 hours in tank water with Microbacter7 as recommended.

51B81368-BDBD-4114-856E-E712099A8CD0.jpeg

Hoping to see Nitrates come down a hair. Couldn’t really tell anymore if they were still at 5 or moving closer to 10. Not that thats too high but the trend was a darker reading each test and I wanted to halt that before it went higher.

Feels like Im so close to an explosion of growth but am missing something. Most all corals look good, even great but some are stagnant in size. PE is fantastic. Part of that I know is simply me seeing them every day but parameters say I am there. Triton test agrees.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the NO3 reducing block?
Yes, Its the export NO3 8"x8" plate. I cut to fit in that last baffle.

I have had a regular export Bio block. The brick sized one since I started up in the return chamber too. Reading up on those it looks like they reccomend replacing them more often. Not sure if that really matters for the sake of NO3 reduction though.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the regular plates, 1 in the sump and 1 in the 40B disconnected fuge. Was thinking about replacing the one in the sump with one of the export NO3 ones.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get that trident dialed in soon, itll eat you alive posting about it eventually.

I saw those blocks on the cyber Monday deals on BRS while I was shopping for other things. Almost pulled the trigger. Right now I only have the media bags in the drain compartment of the sump. With the fuge removing so much no3 i dont want more filtration tbh... keep us updated on the no3 results. Curious to see how they work for u.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can they remove NO3. Wouldn’t they soak it up then have to be removed when exhausted kind of like carbon.

I guess I will have to look into them
They supposedly will convert NO3 to Nitrogen gas like a deep sand bed would which gets expelled through surface agitation. We’ll see how well it works.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They supposedly will convert NO3 to Nitrogen gas like a deep sand bed would which gets expelled through surface agitation. We’ll see how well it works.
Is that anaerobic in a sense?

I'm here to see pics of 10g's and leathers. Can take it to the bio cube BT if u prefer.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally getting around to calibrating the Trident. Just kicked it off. It can apparently take up to 70 minutes. Hopefully that means something good about accuracy.

Going to try a new location in my sump to see if I get any more consistent results. Havent dosed Calcium or Magnesium in over a week now. The numbers are coming down slowly but Im seeing them vary too much test to test for my liking.

Currently the feed line is in the overflow section. It looks like the prefect spot but I know from my Salinity probe that air bubbles are a possibilty in that compartment so Im going to move over to the skimmer section just after hte refugium chamber. Don't see any bubbles there either but being close to the skimmer was why I chose to avoid that spot in the first place. I guess we'll see, Harumph!

Back