OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Brightwell plates in my sump since I put the 90 together. Moved them right into the Waterbox sump. I think that had a lot to do with my short cycle too...
Absolutely it did. The bio blocks today are great so long as they stay in one piece. I like Seachem Pond Matrix too. I have a bag of that in the back of the Biocube. I simply kept it wet/heated during the reboot period and skipped the cylce there as well. Had an anemone in there day 1. It wasnt thrilled but it survived no problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these blocks different from the ceramic tubes?
They all accomplish the same goal processing the nitrogen cycle however the blocks are porous increasing surface area exponentially. Think beehive on a microscopic level.

Theres some debate on whats happening deep inside the blocks. I know Im not quite going to explain it correctly so take with a grain of salt but some say de-nitrification is taking place inside similar to what happens with a deep sand bed. Not sure I agree and the biology of it all doesnt interest me enough to really dig in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally making some headway on nitrate and phosphate. Also letting the glass go a while without cleaning.

Nitrate down to about 20
Phosphate down to .25

CEC543E6-9738-4B5E-B81C-DD7683B8EE4A.png

Thinking Ill leave the Phosgaurd in for another 24 hours then let the fuge takeover from there. I dialed up the intensity from 65 to 80 and extended the photoperiod to 16 hours a day. Will probably back off to 12 hours by the weekend and see where things go.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over in the Biocube I have a pair of clowns hosted by two RBTA’s. One of the Nems went for a walk overnight and the blind clown keeps getting lost when he goes searching for the Nem. He used to get lost once every couple of weeks and I would have to catch him and get him home. You can see in the video the female black clown swims out and tries to lure him back but that rarely works that Ive seen and i usually intervene. I feel so bad for him and am sure Ill have to do it again in a few minutes.

Sorry for the bad lighting. I have to open the hood to get inside.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen anything like this before! Can't knock the guy for courage and giving it 100%! Now keep them nems from moving! hahaha
Its funny, that went on for a couple of days but he's kind if settled down over the last 24 hours or so. Doesn't go looking anymore.
Not sure exactly when he went blind but expect it was before i ever started shuffling fish around for the reboots and new system. i saw one day his left eye was bulging out like he had pop eye. i medicated food with kanaplex for 10 days and the eye went back to normal so I never really gave it another thought. Fast forward a couple months to when I broke down the original biocube and moved the fish and nems into a holding tank he was swimming everywhere but in the host anemone to which he had never strayed more than a couple inches in the past. To my surprise I was able to catch him by hand and move him to his anemone so easily I knew he had to be blind. Since then Ive caught him by hand about 30 times now. I'm pretty sure the Black clown adores me for this. Most people say they tend to be really mean/aggresive. This one has never even looked at my hands or fingers as a threat and as you saw lets me go right for the anemone's.

Hopefully they don't go for anymore walkabouts!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell you, she can be just plain mean. She doesn't always do it and I think since I added the Foxface, she has calmed a bit. I don't have as much trepidation about putting my hands in her end of the tank but still must be wary of her.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How sweet is that!
Do I win the Most Challenged Fish award? Poor guy. Its funny he was super mean to the Black one when we first got them. For a while I thought they might both be female but over time they settled in with the Black one clearly becoming the boss.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, Those threads would be a joy to read!

“My human is such a moron. Clean the glass buddy!”

“OMG! Mine too! Get off your phone and feed us already!”

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“My human is such a moron. Clean the glass buddy!”

“OMG! Mine too! Get off your phone and feed us already!”
Imagine them naming us? The blonde human, the dumb one, the fat one, the short one, the furry one that walks on all four hands... LOL

Emergency, Someone please help! My human has acne!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back