Scurvy’s Mad Wrasse 110

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone just let Dino's do what they do and eventually go away? I'm curious. GHA and cyano go away naturally if you wait it out...
Dinos usually end up killing everything... Aren't there 5 movies out now? Pay attention!!! Once they get out, people die...

Joking aside, they are toxic and livestock that eat them and corals they get on, usually die. Fun Fact: "red tide" is actually very high concentrations of dinoflagellates.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dinos usually end up killing everything... Aren't there 5 movies out now? Pay attention!!! Once they get out, people die...

Joking aside, they are toxic and livestock that eat them and corals they get on, usually die. Fun Fact: "red tide" is actually very high concentrations of dinoflagellates.
I knew that. I understand there are losses, curious how they would fair if allowed to go untreated.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blood Pressure through the roof but here we go again!

25D29328-8932-4158-A980-B80835821C18.jpeg

EFB62188-7BEC-4570-8BEA-D53711EDD6D8.png

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a really hard time liking that...
I get it... If they werent my team Id no doubt be rooting for them to lose every week. The fact that they did lose pretty much every week for the first 25 years of my life certainly makes me appreciate this run.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it... If they werent my team Id no doubt be rooting for them to lose every week. The fact that they did lose pretty much every week for the first 25 years of my life certainly makes me appreciate this run.

I watched Jay and Silent Bob last night after work, if that tells you how much I care about football. I can't tell you when the last time I actually watched a football game was.

I just can't stand the Patriots or Tom Brady... or the Cowboys or Tony Romo...

The last time I was "into" football, I was still living at home and the Steelers and Roethlisberger were winning superbowls.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only people who like the Patriots are either from New England or moved here. The rest of the country HATES them..... ;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched Jay and Silent Bob last night after work, if that tells you how much I care about football. I can't tell you when the last time I actually watched a football game was.

I just can't stand the Patriots or Tom Brady... or the Cowboys or Tony Romo...

The last time I was "into" football, I was still living at home and the Steelers and Roethlisberger were winning superbowls.
I wont it hold it against ya ;) You did spell Roethlisberger correctly and I know I couldnt do that!!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only people who like the Patriots are either from New England or moved here. The rest of the country HATES them..... ;Hilarious;Hilarious
No Doubt... I liken them to Tiger Woods. I rooted against him from day 1 because he ALWAYS won. Then life kicked him in the cajones and we realized he was as messed up as anyone. Now I cannot wait to see him win the big ones again.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread and spent a few days reading through a lot of it, not all of it but a lot of it. Tank is looking great! Way back there you talked about your TDS, I'm jealous at 40 TDS. I can't imagine how nice that is, mine runs about 1200 out of the tap. I'm a year from being in the spot of actually putting in or not putting in sand on my next build and I'm already debating with myself. It's nice to see a fan of sand being converted and I'm guessing still happy with bare bottom? Any thoughts of still adding it? I told myself I would always have sand in my tank, but I catch myself seriously considering going bare bottom. tough choice.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I will confess Tom Brady is probably one of the best if not the best to play the game. However, I can not route for them, I was routing for Kansas City the whole night. I had to watch my cowboys get trampled in the playoffs already.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread and spent a few days reading through a lot of it, not all of it but a lot of it. Tank is looking great! Way back there you talked about your TDS, I'm jealous at 40 TDS. I can't imagine how nice that is, mine runs about 1200 out of the tap. I'm a year from being in the spot of actually putting in or not putting in sand on my next build and I'm already debating with myself. It's nice to see a fan of sand being converted and I'm guessing still happy with bare bottom? Any thoughts of still adding it? I told myself I would always have sand in my tank, but I catch myself seriously considering going bare bottom. tough choice.

Im glad you enjoyed the read. Or Most of it :)
Going with no sand was a tough decision for sure, especially for a wrasse junkie such as myself. It took a few weeks to get used to seeing it bare bottom. It just looked wrong in the beginning. Like going to work and realizing you forgot to put on pants! LoL

Really though I wanted to follow the BRS/WWC method as best I could. Ive gotten used to it now and do not miss it. I have one sand sleeping wrasse in here so far and he uses the small Den w/sand I put in for him. Ive since added a couple more and will hopefully be able to add a couple of Leopards.

Ultimately time will tell but so far im very, very happy Ive stuck to bare bottom and dont have any plans to add a sand bed.

Oh, and 1200 TDS!! Thats mind blowing to me. You must get 25g of RODI before needing new filters.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad you enjoyed the read. Or Most of it :)
Going with no sand was a tough decision for sure, especially for a wrasse junkie such as myself. It took a few weeks to get used to seeing it bare bottom. It just looked wrong in the beginning. Like going to work and realizing you forgot to put on pants! LoL

Really though I wanted to follow the BRS/WWC method as best I could. Ive gotten used to it now and do not miss it. I have one sand sleeping wrasse in here so far and he uses the small Den w/sand I put in for him. Ive since added a couple more and will hopefully be able to add a couple of Leopards.

Ultimately time will tell but so far im very, very happy Ive stuck to bare bottom and dont have any plans to add a sand bed.

Oh, and 1200 TDS!! Thats mind blowing to me. You must get 25g of RODI before needing new filters.

Thanks for the response. I'm not a wrasse junkie but I do have a couple in my tank, one of them being a melanarus who loves his sand bed. I struggle with it because I tell my self my next build will be a SPS dominate tank, but i do like my LPS. I'm afraid I would go bare bottom and then see a plate that I had to have and would be wishing I had a sand bed.

Yeah, you can see a noticeable change in the DI resin after I do a 10 gallon water change on my two tanks.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you can see a noticeable change in the DI resin after I do a 10 gallon water change on my two tanks.
Are you on a well by chance? It seems most folks Ive seen comment about having such high TDS were on wells. I remember TheHarold and another fella discussing ways to mitigate the abuse of the DI resin but never saw what/if they were able to get around it.

FWIW the couple of LPS I have in the tank now will probably be moved out once the SPS take off here. The only thing I think may handle the flow I intend to employ is the torch.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you on a well by chance? It seems most folks Ive seen comment about having such high TDS were on wells. I remember TheHarold and another fella discussing ways to mitigate the abuse of the DI resin but never saw what/if they were able to get around it.

FWIW the couple of LPS I have in the tank now will probably be moved out once the SPS take off here. The only thing I think may handle the flow I intend to employ is the torch.

No I'm on city water, West Texas is just notorious for crappy water. That's where my struggle is, I have two beautiful trachys, two plates, and I will own an Acanthophyllia on day. So I'm trying to figure out a way to balance the high flow with the needs of the LPS I'm so in love with. I figure if a wrasse lover can get away with it, I'm sure I can figure it out.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I'm on city water, West Texas is just notorious for crappy water. That's where my struggle is, I have two beautiful trachys, two plates, and I will own an Acanthophyllia on day. So I'm trying to figure out a way to balance the high flow with the needs of the LPS I'm so in love with. I figure if a wrasse lover can get away with it, I'm sure I can figure it out.
I do wish you luck! Will pop over a check out your build :)

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back