OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear ! ! ! The 2 that were closed up, still are. The other, with the crab, is nice and open and eating whenever I offer some LRS to it. Crabby sometimes steals it and I need to give another piece to the BTA. I try and give some morsels to the other 2 but their tentacles are not sticky like the other. Sometimes they get it, other times they let it slide off.
Its so weird to me when clones right next to eachother in the same tank act so differently... It did take this guy a good couple of weeks to settle in. He was in and out of the rocks so often I didn't know where he was most of the time. I suspect those two will come around in time but its surprising they're still acting cranky.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its so weird to me when clones right next to eachother in the same tank act so differently... It did take this guy a good couple of weeks to settle in. He was in and out of the rocks so often I didn't know where he was most of the time. I suspect those two will come around in time but its surprising they're still acting cranky.

Glad the tank is doing well after your return!

BTAs are weird. Mine right now has half stringy tentacles and half bubbly.
45C5ECD9-268F-4408-961F-95F2BD0D0456.jpeg

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the tank is doing well after your return!

BTAs are weird. Mine right now has half stringy tentacles and half bubbly.
45C5ECD9-268F-4408-961F-95F2BD0D0456.jpeg
My larger green BTA has always acted just like yours. If i ever see bubbles they are very small and only on some tentacles, never all of them.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My larger green BTA has always acted just like yours. If i ever see bubbles they are very small and only on some tentacles, never all of them.

Not to hijack, but it was funny. This was right when the A bicinctus discovered him and he had full on bubbles.
549519BF-4952-470B-A46A-6453531FF71C.jpeg

After the clown he lost them all and was stringy

50DD1070-97AA-4BF5-830D-74D2768C800D.jpeg

Now he has resumed about 1/3 bubbled. Weirdos indeed.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hope eveyone's doing well! We've been pretty much on hiatus since returning from the mountains. A break from the forums and social media altogether really. Its been kinda nice being unplugged some.

Tanks doing well. No issues while we were gone. Upon returning from the hills we replaced all of the RODI filters and did a 20/25g water change. Replaced filters as a best practices kind of thing rather than a need but figure once a year is a good idea. Need to try and remember to replace the sediment filter a bit more often though, that thing was gross!

Added the last remaining fish from the Reefer to the 110. In went the yellow tang.... But hang on I said to myself.... If you're going to add the Yellow Tang you may as well get a 2nd Tang now and add them at the same time... Oh and you have that expiring $50 LA gift card that needs to be used so shopping we went that day. DD posted up a beautiful hybrid Powder Blue Tang. It was the exact same size as the Yellow tang and the Blue was gorgeous! I have no self control so the trigger was pulled and we have a new fish ;) I know he'll probably need to be rehomed some day but for now he's super happy!! Gets along fine with the Yellow Tang. The had a couple of stare down's and Fin flaring contests the first couple of days but i can't even say I saw any tail slapping.

image3.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg
You might have just pushed me into a life of crime with the Tang police...

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack
Never worry about a hijacking here my friend. The bubbles on yours before the clowns are slightly bigger than I ever saw with mine. As I said though it was never all the tentacles, maybe half would have them while the other half wouldn't. I've had RBTA's in the same system with big juicy bubbles though. Nems are just weird as you said!

You might have just pushed me into a life of crime with the Tang police...
I know the Powder Blue will get bigger than the yellow eventually and depending on what i see from a behavioral change as they mature I'll consider rehoming one or both of them should I think they've outgrown the tank. I really wanted an Achillies but they are quite pricey. That combined with finding one under 4" steered me away and I came across the PBT. I know some folks will say i shouldn't even have the PBT here but at this size they'll both be fine here for a couple of years anyway.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did another 20g water change this morning. I think I'll do two more over the next week and then start dialing things in for SPS. Of the 8 or so tester frags I dropped in around the 6 week mark Ive lost about half. My own fault for not testing but probably twice in that time span and seeing my Alk drop as low as 6.9 at one point. The other's haven't done much from a growth standpoint but they have shown nice PE most of the time which to me says that they aren't terribly unhappy.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dantimdad or anyone else using/has used the older model Inkbird controller. Im about ready to junk mine and connect directly to the Apex. I find the variances using this controller to be way out of line. It seems it doesn't turn on the heating element until I'm at least 1 degree under the setpoint. Used to be two degrees under until i found that setting to adjust. Any tips I'm missing on programming this thing? Also Ive seen you mention needing to shrinkwrap the probe? Does that probe introduce metals without the wrap? I also think I'm seeing my Finnex controller starting to fail. The set point on that is 79 degrees yet Ive found the temp reading 76 and the element not turning on. If I power cycle it's outlet on the apex it kicks right on. Thx in advance.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the question @NY_Caveman asked. You need to have them apart a bit and the probe downstream of the heaters.

I have found that the ones I used in the past had weird readings in salt water if they weren't shrink wrapped.

Yes, they can leach from my understanding. But, they fail sooner than leach.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman

I meant upstream.
I have all three probes, Finnex, Apex and Inkbird in the drain chamber with the heaters placed two chambers later before the return section.

I'm wondering if its begining to fail as mine is not shrink wrapped.
Yes, they can leach from my understanding. But, they fail sooner than leach.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back