OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will you be going AC or DC on the Deltec?
I was leaning towards the AC version simply because I like the simplicity and didn't have great luck with the Bubble Magus DC I tried a couple years back. Admittedly it was my first ever skimmer though. DC may be the better choice for me now however.

As for the power heads. Cleaning the Ecotech pumps is a breeze. The WAV’s are a PITA in comparison. Ive used MP-10’s, Gyres and now the WAV’s. Gyres moved a ton of water but I still think I like the MP’s best.

Theres a couple more wrasse i want to fill out my collection. Rose Band, Pin Tail and Radiant plus I want to try another Copperband though thats probably a reach at this point with the two tangs.
Maybe another Anthias or two as well.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy afternoon. Along with a 10g change we hooked up a BRS dual reactor outside the sump and freed up space for the skimmer upgrade. Can probably shorten some hoses and such but for now Im happy.
Used the Innovative Marine Might Jet DC pump to feed it. Its a nifty little pump thats for sure.

06403B02-3F1B-43A9-90FE-ADD6CE6DABBE.jpeg 0FA1CCD7-A7E7-418B-BD4B-17E4B309E5CD.jpeg

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some sump skulking and found a humongous Bristleworm along with some great big Nudi’s snacking. You cant see them really but theres a bunch of babies in there too so I think we’re gonna start to see some Aiptasia disappearing soon too :)

DF7E59F8-D492-4767-9CC2-81AC54141BCB.jpeg 6A996E33-6FB3-407D-8737-6CBBBB81A92E.jpeg

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably get the Deltec because I have the nyos 160 and want to try the Deltec.
I picked up 2 wetside MP40 with the sale and my discount at the LFS. Now I swap wet sides and clean when I get time.
Sounds like you have a good plan but surprised you would rather get the power heads before the skimmer.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably get the Deltec because I have the nyos 160 and want to try the Deltec.
I picked up 2 wetside MP40 with the sale and my discount at the LFS. Now I swap wet sides and clean when I get time.
Sounds like you have a good plan but surprised you would rather get the power heads before the skimmer.
Its simply because theyre on sale and they rarely are. I could wait for black Friday but Ecotech doesn't always discount everything so it would be a gamble. Eventually I hope to get at least one spare wetside to use them as you are.

I may just go for broke and get it all this week. Minus the fish for now.

Found a guy looking to sell his 160 cuz its too big. If he’s interested in a trade of some sort for my 120 I may just stick with Nyos but I just want to try Deltec. Something new I guess...

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its simply because theyre on sale and they rarely are. I could wait for black Friday but Ecotech doesn't always discount everything so it would be a gamble. Eventually I hope to get at least one spare wetside to use them as you are.

I may just go for broke and get it all this week. Minus the fish for now.

Found a guy looking to sell his 160 cuz its too big. If he’s interested in a trade of some sort for my 120 I may just stick with Nyos but I just want to try Deltec. Something new I guess...

It is had to pass up the sale. Will you put one mp40 on each side of the tank?

Deltec looks so nice but the used 160 trade of some sort deal sounds nice.

Most importantly drink a couple extra and do the late night go for broke!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The trade would seem like a win win. We’ll see what he says. He answered me with a pic of his skimmer but not if he’d be into a trade.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im thinking one on the lower left side pane blowing behind the rock and keeping things suspended and the other on the middleish of the right pane blasting across the top/open water column.

No trade so it looks to be a Deltec.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, Folks. We have two MP-40’s coming that should be delivered Tuesday. We also made a deal on a used Nyos 160. Not the new Deltec I was planning but a skimmer I know how to use, works darn well, is appropriately sized and didn’t bust the budget. When all’s said and done we should have some cash left over for something.... maybe even a few somethings! Should re-coup about 65% of the spend once I flip the old stuff as well.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, Folks. We have two MP-40’s coming that should be delivered Tuesday. We also made a deal on a used Nyos 160. Not the new Deltec I was planning but a skimmer I know how to use, works darn well, is appropriately sized and didn’t bust the budget. When all’s said and done we should have some cash left over for something.... maybe even a few somethings! Should re-coup about 65% of the spend once I flip the old stuff as well.
FB_IMG_1549007477090.jpg

"I got the Tupperware too honey"

Awesome and grats on negotiating that deal! More bioload! Yesss!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im feeling real good about the tank! From an equipment standpoint Im done! At least until Hell freezes over and we score a Trident. Skimmer has been upgraded and MP-40’s are in. Still tweaking flow a bit but I've managed to create waves that reach up and kiss the eurobracing! Corals all seem happy with it and Im kicking up a good amount of detritus that would have previously settled out under the rock structures.

PH shot sky high since adding the bigger skimmer, its pulling a lot more air than the old one did :)

7F9EAF2B-1723-4575-B88C-0F193BE3BA5E.png

Will be checking Alk daily again as I expect an uptick in consumption.

EE30EDC2-393F-4F72-A183-8AEBED4A391C.jpeg

Have one last order arriving Tuesday and Im done for a while.

Needed to beef up the cleanup crew and nobody just orders snails so we scooped up a beautiful Red Tail McKosckers flasher and Midas Blennie from DD along with 50 Astrea snails. Wanted a handful of Mexican Turbos to replace the few my lone hermit has taken out but they havent been in stock for a while.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back