Scurvy’s Mad Wrasse 110

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly no idea. I never really fed those ones other than whatever the clowns would bring them but they never got bigger than a raquetball.
That is about the size mine grow to. I’m sure the garden of BTA will eventually start walking lol

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Saturday all! A water change and some college football game day to start the day!

4333B40D-AA0B-48C6-887A-43F88CA883F6.jpeg

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it a good idea to rinse it every once in a while? mine has only been in for a week
It depends I’d say. I run a Triton setup which utilizes No mechanical filtration pre-fuge. The chaeto once grown out then acts as the mechanical filtration and traps everything socks would. The microfauna of course feasts on all that stuff but every few months I like to pull and rinse while doing a water change. It’s simple enough to do at that point with old tank water so it makes sense to do IMO.

That said, if your fuge is after socks and skimmer then it may not be worth the effort. I think I’d probably still do it a couple of times a year if only to vacuum the bottom of that chamber.

How’s your setup moving along?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One dumb hermit! This guys a menace even as the only occupant in the scallywag tank! Found him walking on the rim last night. Must’ve scaled the heater cord. Was literally on the plastic rim out of water. Wish I got a picture.

Just caught him trying to commit suicide by powerhead. I know the pics are too blue.

E9420B16-4CD2-4CC8-8056-AAA53B512AAF.jpeg CFB07AD3-FECD-4F7E-BA94-41D8AD22723E.jpeg

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
That hermit is HUGE ! ! !

I haven't had ones that big since my FOWLR tank.
I need to drop a couple of bigger shells in there for him. He’s about the size of a racquetball now. Maybe slightly smaller.
I hear him clanging around that bare bottom at all hours of night! If he werent from my very first order of living creatures Id have brought him to the LFS long ago.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great Cory. I love how it is "kitty cornered". Really broadens the focus to the entire reef, and makes u take in the whole pic... Rather than 1 side or the other.

How is the "trap" working out for u between the fuge and skimmer baffle? Clogging or build up at all?

I love piling the chaeto up against the baffle and it's amazing how much stuff gets caught in it. Works just like floss.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The floss tray after the fuge begins to overflow about every 24/36 hours. I’ve been pretty good about swapping it out by th 48 hour at most. A 10’ roll of pinky pad will last about 2 months I think. It’s made a big difference in the ammount of particulates floating in the water column which is nice.

You’ve got me thinking though, maybe I can squash the chaeto ball against that wall an have the detritus run over into the floss.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The floss tray after the fuge begins to overflow about every 24/36 hours. I’ve been pretty good about swapping it out by th 48 hour at most. A 10’ roll of pinky pad will last about 2 months I think. It’s made a big difference in the ammount of particulates floating in the water column which is nice.

You’ve got me thinking though, maybe I can squash the chaeto ball against that wall an have the detritus run over into the floss.

Heres what mine looks like.
20190921_215741.jpg

It works great and the bristle worms use the chaeto like a fast food highway. Its crawling with life and pods.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrated the two DOS this afternoon. Not sure what happened but I somehow lost the prime to the calcium reservoir. Mustve been like that a while cuz the resevoirs were way out of line dosing equal parts of the Triton elements. Hopefully I see some results in growth after catching this.

Also replaced the carbon, added a few tablespoons of GFO and reloaded the CO2 scrubber media. PH began dipping down under 8.2 at night where its generally at or above 8.3.

So a bunch of time put in this weekend. Hoping to see a direct impact in the tank. Time will tell.

Alk: 7.9
Cal: 410
Mag: 1580
No3: 2.5/5
PO: .24

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrated the two DOS this afternoon. Not sure what happened but I somehow lost the prime to the calcium reservoir. Mustve been like that a while cuz the resevoirs were way out of line dosing equal parts of the Triton elements. Hopefully I see some results in growth after catching this.

Also replaced the carbon, added a few tablespoons of GFO and reloaded the CO2 scrubber media. PH began dipping down under 8.2 at night where its generally at or above 8.3.

So a bunch of time put in this weekend. Hoping to see a direct impact in the tank. Time will tell.

Alk: 7.9
Cal: 410
Mag: 1580
No3: 2.5/5
PO: .24

What's ur target range for ur ca? I recall u liking the dKh in the high 7's if my memory serves me right.

Good numbers regardless. You and keith make me really debate setting up a gfo in the skimmer chamber.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's ur target range for ur ca? I recall u liking the dKh in the high 7's if my memory serves me right.

Good numbers regardless. You and keith make me really debate setting up a gfo in the skimmer chamber.
I like Calcium to be 440/450.
AlK: 7.7 seems to be where things are happiest. I think it began ticking up with the drop off in PH.

Im not a big fan of GFO. It scares the crap out of me to be honest. Ill run it for 2 to 3 days and pull it out. Not sure why the PO4 jumped up but its been higher than I like the past two weeks so Ill reel it in a little. .07 makes me happy.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Calcium to be 440/450.
AlK: 7.7 seems to be where things are happiest. I think it began ticking up with the drop off in PH.

Im not a big fan of GFO. It scares the crap out of me to be honest. Ill run it for 2 to 3 days and pull it out. Not sure why the PO4 jumped up but its been higher than I like the past two weeks so Ill reel it in a little. .07 makes me happy.
With ur po4 currently at .24, what's your timeframes to drop it to .07? I'm picking brains before I pull the trigger. Right now I just have a bag of carbon and a bag of phosguard on the drain compartment. I figured the gentle swirling in there is just about perfect to run the bags in.. almost like a reactor.

Back