OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With ur po4 currently at .24, what's your timeframes to drop it to .07? I'm picking brains before I pull the trigger. Right now I just have a bag of carbon and a bag of phosguard on the drain compartment. I figured the gentle swirling in there is just about perfect to run the bags in.. almost like a reactor.
Id like to stretch it out over a week but it never takes that long for me. Ill be testing every day. Possibly twice a day to make sure it doesn't drop to fast. I added a ball valve to the reactors and slowed it as best I could while still keeping the gfo tumbling slightly.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8D38F7F4-58DE-408B-B6AE-0DC4357784B3.jpeg
Tank looks awesome!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With ur po4 currently at .24, what's your timeframes to drop it to .07? I'm picking brains before I pull the trigger. Right now I just have a bag of carbon and a bag of phosguard on the drain compartment. I figured the gentle swirling in there is just about perfect to run the bags in.. almost like a reactor.
I am trying something a little different this time around while running the GFO. To prevent a rapid fall like I normally see I've added Reef Roids to the frozen food with dinner the past two nights. Seems to be working as I'd hoped seeing just a slight drop each morning as opposed to a huge drop that has killed acro's on me in the past.

Down to .17 after just less than 48 hours.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying something a little different this time around while running the GFO. To prevent a rapid fall like I normally see I've added Reef Roids to the frozen food with dinner the past two nights. Seems to be working as I'd hoped seeing just a slight drop each morning as opposed to a huge drop that has killed acro's on me in the past.

Nice adjustment on the mcfly ;)

I like it :)

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice trick McGyver :)

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, Just haven’t been feeling it this week. This pirate needs a vacation.
That's why we're in Tennessee. We were both feeling beat down. Vacation is good for the soul! Hopefully you can get away soon and get over the blues.

(I still say its scurvy, go eat an orange)

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Sunday to all my Reef Joker’s.
We had a small whoops last night. Shut off the MP-40’s to glue a couple frags and never turned them back on. No harm, no foul but once again remember to double check everything when you finish tinkering :)

just completed a 20g water change, swapped out carbon, vaccumed the sump and rinsed all the biomedia. Tanks cloudy at the moment but otherwise all’s well.

Pics and test results this afternoon while the Pats throttle the Skins ;)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Sunday to all my Reef Joker’s.
We had a small whoops last night. Shut off the MP-40’s to glue a couple frags and never turned them back on. No harm, no foul but once again remember to double check everything when you finish tinkering :)
I do this with the ATO far too often and that sucks.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran some mid week tests and found PO4 had shot up to .4

I ran out of LRS a couple weeks back and had a large pack of PE mysis. Found this mysis to be filthy but began rinsing and feeding it anyway. Guess I have my answer now. Headed for the LFS today to reload in frozen. Goodbye PE, you need to be better.

no negatives as a result of the higher PO4. Noticed the Trachy sorta un-happy but otherwise nothing seemed to care. Gfo running again and will test over the weekend.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran some mid week tests and found PO4 had shot up to .4

I ran out of LRS a couple weeks back and had a large pack of PE mysis. Found this mysis to be filthy but began rinsing and feeding it anyway. Guess I have my answer now. Headed for the LFS today to reload in frozen. Goodbye PE, you need to be better.

no negatives as a result of the higher PO4. Noticed the Trachy sorta un-happy but otherwise nothing seemed to care. Gfo running again and will test over the weekend.
Randy Holmes-Farley did some testing on this and determined that rinsing the mysis cubes did virtually nothing as far as minimizing nutrients. I will try to find the link.
i only bring it up cause you may have something else going on and just quit looking:)

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang...... I can’t search for it. Search function is not working on my phone.
Thanks Mike. Ill see if I can find it myself. Ive used this PE mysis before but this is nastiest Ive ever seen it look in the cup after thawing. I generally never rinse food but this pack made me. Perhaps it was the bottom of the barrel package so to speak?

Anyway without rinsing the skimmer stopped and began releasing crazy bubbles that turned the display into a jacuzzi for a good half hour. Losing the foam head when feeding has always been normal but never have I seen so many bubbles escape and make it to the display.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using hikari mysis a little over a year ago. Seems cleaner and less oily than PE. Might be worth a look for you.
Thanks, Ive heard others say the same about it being cleaner...Smaller as well which is cool for the little mouths. The PE is definitely on the larger size.

Back