OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 20g water change complete before 9am. Spent some time trying to suck out some asterena stars.

Light finally dawned on my marble head that they are not only keeping coraline algae at bay but also eating zoa’s.. I’d guess I got 100 out with the water change but have hundreds upon hundreds more I am sure. Would love to get a pair of Harlequin shrimp and let them go to town but can’t find any in stock so I’ll wait it out and suck them out as I’m able. I don’t do many water changes so I don’t expect to make much of a dent that way.

I’ll be testing tomorrow and pulling out a sample to send to Triton on Monday as well. Last i checked Nitrate was its steady 5ppm and Phosphate was .17

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 20g water change complete before 9am. Spent some time trying to suck out some asterena stars.

Light finally dawned on my marble head that they are not only keeping coraline algae at bay but also eating zoa’s.. I’d guess I got 100 out with the water change but have hundreds upon hundreds more I am sure. Would love to get a pair of Harlequin shrimp and let them go to town but can’t find any in stock so I’ll wait it out and suck them out as I’m able. I don’t do many water changes so I don’t expect to make much of a dent that way.

I’ll be testing tomorrow and pulling out a sample to send to Triton on Monday as well. Last i checked Nitrate was its steady 5ppm and Phosphate was .17

I just had an epiphany. Are the asterinias I have mowing down the zoas that I fear are melting currently around my tank?? Thanks for sharing.

The possibility didnt even cross my mind.
#r2r4life

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you test and watch trace elements like iron or just send to Triton?
I bought test kits for all that stuff but Nah. Ive put my trust in Triton and just dose their recommended maintenance doses of iodine and other trace. When I feel the chaeto is slowing down or stalling Ill double dose iodine and add some extra iron.

just need to be pretty regular about sending off a test every 3 or 4 months to make sure you stay on track.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought test kits for all that stuff but Nah. Ive put my trust in Triton and just dose their recommended maintenance doses of iodine and other trace. When I feel the chaeto is slowing down or stalling Ill double dose iodine and add some extra iron.

just need to be pretty regular about sending off a test every 3 or 4 months to make sure you stay on track.
I got all warm and fuzzy with this comment. That is what I wanted to hear. Maybe one day water changes will be a thing of the past

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well?
20191124_200628.jpg

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a hard time keeping up with my own thread :)

Well I dont need it any time soon but I would certainly love to take it from you! I need to trap the Blue Throat Fairy and get him out before adding anyone new. He's not a total savage of a bully but definitely pushing my limits so far as patience goes.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a hard time keeping up with my own thread :)

Well I dont need it any time soon but I would certainly love to take it from you! I need to trap the Blue Throat Fairy and get him out before adding anyone new. He's not a total savage of a bully but definitely pushing my limits so far as patience goes.

Beantown visit will be scheduled soon then...

Text me when things are calm for u and throw some dates that work out. Maybe I'll fly solo and leave kalisha at home so she doesnt fall asleep listening to the reef jabber. ;)

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we may as well go ahead and give a proper tank update.

got the results of the Triton test back this morning. I stupidly fed heavy the night before I pulled the sample so my PO4 registered .345 but otherwise nothing too far out of line. A touch low on a couple of Chaeto sucking trace elements like Molybdenum, lithium and Nickel but thats about it. Ill bump by maintenance doses a tad and should be good.

Just tested PO4 a few minutes ago and for the first time in I don't even know how long its below 0.1 Just a hair below at 0.09 but Ill take it!
I had been kicking around selling my 36” Reef Brite since tearing down the old tank but never did. Decided to add it onto the Orpheks for some super POP and I think it's gonna do just the trick!

A little bit of my faithful 3M fasteners to the rescue and here we have it!

FB536590-87FE-4DA6-8090-0A2693C847C6.jpeg

7F6E1402-0881-41D5-9820-90B40CA0E0E4.jpeg

CC1665B0-B30B-4A10-B694-E02DCE8D9573.jpeg

8E1C5E33-4E14-4670-844D-C0A0E856AF23.jpeg

Works great with the orange lensed glasses!

Otherwise my black friday shopping is done. Loaded up on consumables mostly the blew the budget on a Trident so I am done til next year!!

Happy Turkey Day you turkeys!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hows the PBT? Behaving?
Yes, He’s been great and surprised me in that regard to be honest. Him and the Yellow will occasionally flare up and compare fins around the algae clip but its never gone any farther than that.

My lone problem behavior wise thus far is the Blue Throat Fairy. Its mostly mating behavior but he’s relentless to everyone but the tangs every evening for about an hour. Then back to normal.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to hear re the tangs. I need to add a grazer and My daughters want a small PBT. I was thinking small yellow but am torn. I know every fish is different but good to hear.
Sucks about the blue throat. I don’t have one but know they can be pushy. My pushy fish was my Borbonius Anthias. Used to chase my wrasse. Annoying.
Thanks! Tank looks great!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a bottle trap hanging for the wrasse?
I got a trap you can use if needed. I could ship it but not sure how to get it back to me. It’s on the larger side.
Pictures came out great.

Does triton tell you how much trace that you need to dos or is it a guessing game?

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a bottle trap hanging for the wrasse?
I got a trap you can use if needed. I could ship it but not sure how to get it back to me. It’s on the larger side.
Pictures came out great.

Does triton tell you how much trace that you need to dos or is it a guessing game?
It was a bottle trap. I made a weak attempt at trapping him but only baited it two or three times. Kept catching the Rhomboid and for whatever reason he refused like every other fish to find his own way out after 2 minutes.

I pulled the trap out for now. ill probably buy one eventually or figure a way to rig my acclimation box into a trap. Shouldnt be too hard. thanks for the offer though!

triton gives you a make up dose to get back in line along with a recommended maintenance dose to keep it there.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well we may as well go ahead and give a proper tank update.

got the results of the Triton test back this morning. I stupidly fed heavy the night before I pulled the sample so my PO4 registered .345 but otherwise nothing too far out of line. A touch low on a couple of Chaeto sucking trace elements like Molybdenum, lithium and Nickel but thats about it. Ill bump by maintenance doses a tad and should be good.

Just tested PO4 a few minutes ago and for the first time in I don't even know how long its below 0.1 Just a hair below at 0.09 but Ill take it!
I had been kicking around selling my 36” Reef Brite since tearing down the old tank but never did. Decided to add it onto the Orpheks for some super POP and I think it's gonna do just the trick!

A little bit of my faithful 3M fasteners to the rescue and here we have it!

FB536590-87FE-4DA6-8090-0A2693C847C6.jpeg

7F6E1402-0881-41D5-9820-90B40CA0E0E4.jpeg

CC1665B0-B30B-4A10-B694-E02DCE8D9573.jpeg

8E1C5E33-4E14-4670-844D-C0A0E856AF23.jpeg

Works great with the orange lensed glasses!

Otherwise my black friday shopping is done. Loaded up on consumables mostly the blew the budget on a Trident so I am done til next year!!

Happy Turkey Day you turkeys!
Your trachy is really nice and fluffy!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back