Scurvy’s Mad Wrasse 110

Amaroq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I missed it and you've mentioned it somewhere but as I'm not about to read through 100+ pages to find out, quick question, where are you hiding your sand for that radiant wrasse to sleep? Is it that almost bowl/cup shaped rock in the front left corner or is there a hidden dish somewhere? If so, did you make that or just luck out finding it? The tank looks incredible by the way!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it that almost bowl/cup shaped rock in the front left corner or is there a hidden dish somewhere? If so, did you make that or just luck out finding it? The tank looks incredible by the way!
Thanks for stopping in for a look!

Yes, that bowl shaped rock is a Wrasse Den. In the begining it had sand in it but over time the high flow would empty it and blow sand all over the tank. By the time I realized it the wrasse wasnt bother by it and just sleeps in the rock work with other fish so I didn't chase sand for it. I still debate a sand bed often wanting to add Leopards but they will just have to wait for another tank down the road.

The company that made the Wrasse Dens doesn't make them anymore. I guess the guy that molded them has arthritis in his hands and just can't do them anymore.
For others that have asked about them the only other product Ive comes across thats sort of similar is made by Aquarocks on Facebook or Instagram. I cant link them now since both sites are blcoked on my corporate network but they should be easy enough to find with a quick search.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things man? I imagine work is crazy still. Hope all yours and the reefs are well sir.

We miss ya.
FB_IMG_1587479384956.jpg

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, ok.... We're way overdue for an update so I'll oblige. Some know, some don't that about two weeks ago we made a couple of changes. Removed the two Orphek fixtures and installed a Noopsyche Hybrid with a trio of Radion xr-15 Blue's. The Orphek's were great fixtures and treated me well dating back to the Reefer 250 that started it all. As good as they were they never quite gave me a color rendition that I loved as far as my own eye went. Lockdown finally got the best of me and I used a little retail therapy to quell the frustration.

F912CFE3-CF75-4F65-9030-AEF47616CE1F.jpeg

DC09F308-EF14-483D-B65A-58F741FB6E06.jpeg

Short time frame of course and I'm still dialing things a bit here and there but I am very happy with the new setup so far. No issues at all with the Radions or Mobius. Setup of the LED's was mostly a breeze. Might’ve misunderstood intensity settings and overdone it for a few days but I think we’re past that now. For the T5's I am running (2) ATI Blue plus and (2) Giessman Super Actinic for 6 hours in the middle of my day. The Radions peak at 55% and Ive set them to rise and dip between 45 and 55% while the T5's are on sort of simulating cloud cover. I do belive they have a cloud feature in the light but I havent played with that yet.

Almost overlooked with the new lights is the skimmer upgrade. The Nyos skimmed great but it needed a new pump according to Ecotech/Nyos support. Once running it was great but at start up I had to blow in the air line to get the pump running. With the ammount of feeding Amino’s and planning to start on Reef Nutrition foods there was no way I was dealing with that 3 times a day.

Soooo we welcome a Deltec 1000i DC skimmer to the MadWrasse! Still dialing it in to my preference but it was almost immediately skimming when it hit the water.

729725F2-F243-4733-8B2F-73EACF685EAD.jpeg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, ok.... We're way overdue for an update so I'll oblige. Some know, some don't that about two weeks ago we made a couple of changes. Removed the two Orphek fixtures and installed a Noopsyche Hybrid with a trio of Radion xr-15 Blue's. The Orphek's were great fixtures and treated me well dating back to the Reefer 250 that started it all. As good as they were they never quite gave me a color rendition that I loved as far as my own eye went. Lockdown finally got the best of me and I used a little retail therapy to quell the frustration.

F912CFE3-CF75-4F65-9030-AEF47616CE1F.jpeg

DC09F308-EF14-483D-B65A-58F741FB6E06.jpeg

Short time frame of course and I'm still dialing things a bit here and there but I am very happy with the new setup so far. No issues at all with the Radions or Mobius. Setup of the LED's was mostly a breeze. Might’ve misunderstood intensity settings and overdone it for a few days but I think we’re past that now. For the T5's I am running (2) ATI Blue plus and (2) Giessman Super Actinic for 6 hours in the middle of my day. The Radions peak at 55% and Ive set them to rise and dip between 45 and 55% while the T5's are on sort of simulating cloud cover. I do belive they have a cloud feature in the light but I havent played with that yet.

Almost overlooked with the new lights is the skimmer upgrade. The Nyos skimmed great but it needed a new pump according to Ecotech/Nyos support. Once running it was great but at start up I had to blow in the air line to get the pump running. With the ammount of feeding Amino’s and planning to start on Reef Nutrition foods there was no way I was dealing with that 3 times a day.

Soooo we welcome a Deltec 1000i DC skimmer to the MadWrasse! Still dialing it in to my preference but it was almost immediately skimming when it hit the water.

729725F2-F243-4733-8B2F-73EACF685EAD.jpeg
The tooks fantastic!!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont generally care what stores charge for their livestock if theyre within reason and I know shipping costs have skyrocketted due to pandemic, no planes and all but I find this obscene and it just made me eliminate LA/DD from my list of approved vendors :( Straw the breaks the camels back I guess, not even DD where they could claim they put some time and effort into the fish...

1591645999629.png

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid $150 for mine from a smaller mom n pop type store in Mid March. LA was asking $350 at that time. Ive seen fully QT'd versions of this fish for less than $400 as recently as a week ago. Maybe its a new normal but I expect its just gouging and why I bothered posting it.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping is even a poor excuse for these larger vendors who still do enough ordering to keep shipping down. Seems to be more of a lame excuse to cash in and take advantage of people while they can.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping is even a poor excuse for these larger vendors who still do enough ordering to keep shipping down. Seems to be more of a lame excuse to cash in and take advantage of people while they can.
100% agree. I am not an unreasonable person that thinks nobody should make a profit but this just made me mad.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back