Scurvy’s Mad Wrasse 110

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not a surprise as I knew when I got the Yellow and PBT they'd eventually need to move onto larger systems. The Yellow could probably stick around another year here but if Im going to upset the balance I figure it best to do in one shot rather than multiple times. I also doubt the Yellow wouldever accept the Copperband.

Pyroferus is also a favorite of mine so far as Tangs go. Im a wrasse guy like you but the Tangs bring a little diversity into the tank. Pyroferus dont all turn into stunners but the ones that do can be amazing!
No doubt! I think you made smart move by removing both and then starting over with all small tangs and CBB at one time.

Yeah I am in the middle of upgrade and am planning more wrasse of course ;) but am also thinking about other tangs to add to my juvenile Blonde Naso.

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see you losing corals :confused: out of troubleshooting curiosity... have you been using hand sanitizer and then putting your hands in the tank later? I've seen this correlation start since covid.

You know me and my rants, I personally feel the nutrients wouldn't affect things to the point of killing them. I also haven't done a waterchange in 7 months and have no3 at 50 and po4 at .5. I may just be lucky though...

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see you losing corals :confused: out of troubleshooting curiosity... have you been using hand sanitizer and then putting your hands in the tank later? I've seen this correlation start since covid.

You know me and my rants, I personally feel the nutrients wouldn't affect things to the point of killing them. I also haven't done a waterchange in 7 months and have no3 at 50 and po4 at .5. I may just be lucky though...
JV, Hope all's well bud!

No to the hand sanitizer but that's a good thing to point out to any/everyone.... I am careful to wash hands in hot water only before dropping them in the tank.

In this case I think I unintentionally messed with too many things at once. Changed lighting from Orphek to Radion/T5 hybrid, saw what I assumed was a negative reaction to the lighting change so I messed with that for a couple weeks. When my lazy butt finally pulled the Seneye out for PAR readings I realized the numbers were much lower than I assumed. Then decided to test of course and found Po4 had shot from being stable .05/.07 for months to .35. Gfo reactor had clogged with chaeto while my heavy hands kept feeding.

My salinity had been high for quite a while too. Probably 1.030. I brought that back to 1.025/26 just before finding the reactor clogged so it was a cluster bomb of changes over 10-14 days.

Can't let your guard down at all in an SPS tank! Or maybe you can if youre a coral whisperer :)

Last edited:

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Call me curious... Can't wait to see what you come up with!
I do have a list to add to what I already have... I suppose I should update my thread and start a new one! lol

RE your corals, it sounds like you have tracked down the issues. Too many changes in a short amount of time.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JV, Hope all's well bud!

No to the hand sanitizer but that's a good thing to point out to any/everyone.... I am careful to wash hands in hot water only before dropping them in the tank.

In this case I think I unintentionally messed with too many things at once. Changed lighting from Orphek to Radion/T5 hybrid, saw what I assumed was a negative reaction to the lighting change so I messed with that for a couple weeks. When my lazy butt finally pulled the Seneye out for PAR readings I realized the numbers were much lower than I assumed. Then decided to test of course and found Po4 had shot from being stable .05/.07 for months to .35. Gfo reactor had clogged with chaeto while my heavy hands kept feeding.

My salinity had been high for quite a while. Probably 1.030. I brought that back to 1.025/26 just before finding the reactor clogged so it was a cluster bomb of changes over 10-14 days.

Can't let your guard down at all in an SPS tank! Or maybe you can if youre a coral whisperer :)

That's a lot of change going on in just a few weeks, certainly difficult for some corals to handle that many stressors . This is why I'm probably going to avoid the more difficult corals altogether, I'm not exactly Johnny on the spot with my testing and maintenance lol

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old Mimic

Mimic2.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old Mimic

Mimic2.jpg
Absolute beauty! Hoping mine turns into something similar with blue in the dorsal and anal fins. My guess about an inch and a half now. It'll be 2 - 4 years before it reaches the 6" or so that will force me to move on from him. Who knows what happens in that time? I could upgrade, win the lottery and buy an Island :) Goonies never say die!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of change going on in just a few weeks, certainly difficult for some corals to handle that many stressors . This is why I'm probably going to avoid the more difficult corals altogether, I'm not exactly Johnny on the spot with my testing and maintenance lol
Its funny the tanks in the living room, I work from 80% of the time and see it all day most days. Feel like I have a pretty good handle on things just by looking but complacency still gets the best of us at times regardless... I am very good with additives and following my schedule of iodine, iron, etc but often overlook the Nitrate/po4 test when they tend to not change for weeks/months on end.

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JV, Hope all's well bud!

My salinity had been high for quite a while too. Probably 1.030. I brought that back to 1.025/26 just before finding the reactor clogged so it was a cluster bomb of changes over 10-14 days.

Seems like a series of unfortunate events, it will turnaround no problem for you though!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank just needs those new fish added, once they are in frags turn into colonies!
I wish that were true!! I can’t buy a win the last few weeks.... Salinity found to be back at 40ppt, lost a few more frags. While dosing to compensate my lowering salinity I left the DOS on and dumped +/- 600ml of Triton solution 1 (Mag) plus trace Into the tank yesterday. Planning a couple of large water changes this weekend and then I’m not touching a thing until I remove my oversized head from my rear end!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long Time, No Updates. Maybe, could be starting to feel like I'm getting back in the swing of things..... Sort of... ;)

Just released a Flame and Blue Flasher wrasse from the acclimation box. Tried to then put a Lineatus into the box but he snuck out before I got the lid closed so he's on his own! So far so good surprisingly. A little chaos but nothing to worry about that i can see. That could change come evening/lights down as thats when the wrasses get feisty.

Pics to follow should I manage to catch them. Current Stock = 15 and final number.

Pintail Fairy
Flame Fairy
Lineatus Fairy
Red Margin Fairy
Rhomboid Fairy
Diamond Tail Flasher
Blue Flasher
Radiant Wrasse
Midas Blennie
Borbonius Anthias
Lyretail Anthias
Saphire Damsel
Purple Tang
Mimic/Chocolate Tang
Copperband Butterfly

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kathy loved it I loved it. Kathy is now pointing out how we do not have enough fish back in yet........
I need to learn what to share and when ;Facepalm
Did see a cpl beauties qtd that fit my bill but want the mini Davincis to have more time......

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick video. Not the best color but I did bump cool white to 100%. Need to find a recording setting for the Radion Blues.

Tried feeding my fish like this with a baster, they all hid and didn't come out. If I stick my fingers in the tank with the frozen food and defrost it in the tank, they all come running..... Go figure.....

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back