OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been happy with the colors on my sps, but have noticed colors improve on many of the acros recently.

BC Gilded lily added to the system back in August and initially browned out on me. The brown transitioned to green and the yellow is coming back.

BW5A1204.jpg

BC Wild Karrde
Included in my last battle box. Picture is under blues. Colors continue to evolve. In captivity less than a year, I'm interested to see where the colors end up.

BW5A1216.jpg

JF Jolt, Definitely starting to see some color in the polyps again, more of a redish rust color then a deep red at this point, but headed in the right direction and continues to progress.
BW5A1208.jpg

Malaysian Speciosa
BW5A1195.jpg

Acropora microclados, shortcake variant
BW5A1178.jpg

Found several other baby euphylia,
BW5A1193.jpg
BW5A1193-2.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been happy with the colors on my sps, but have noticed colors improve on many of the acros recently.

BC Gilded lily added to the system back in August and initially browned out on me. The brown transitioned to green and the yellow is coming back.

BW5A1204.jpg

BC Wild Karrde
Included in my last battle box. Picture is under blues. Colors continue to evolve. In captivity less than a year, I'm interested to see where the colors end up.

BW5A1216.jpg

JF Jolt, Definitely starting to see some color in the polyps again, more of a redish rust color then a deep red at this point, but headed in the right direction and continues to progress.
BW5A1208.jpg

Malaysian Speciosa
BW5A1195.jpg

BW5A1178.jpg

Found several other baby euphylia,
BW5A1193.jpg
BW5A1193-2.jpg
What did you change to have an impact on the colors?

radar_17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1974.jpg
IMG_1975.jpg

Here's the programming I'm using. There is a one hour timer function that's contingent on the pump being on at the top of the hour. The oscillate (OSC) numbers correspond to delay before first run / time to run / delay until next run. The three numbers add up to 60 minutes. Many people don't add a delay in the beginning and the time to run affects how much food you add per feeding.

By setting the pump to be on at the top of the hour you will add a feeding. If the pump is off, the feeder won't turn on. As the duration of feeding increased, I learned that I needed to increase the duration of the pump to expel the food, so you may not need to run the pump as long as I do. I found if all the food isn't expelled, it increased the maintenance for feeding tube.
Thanks! My feeder should be here the end of the week.

radar_17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1974.jpg
IMG_1975.jpg

Here's the programming I'm using. There is a one hour timer function that's contingent on the pump being on at the top of the hour. The oscillate (OSC) numbers correspond to delay before first run / time to run / delay until next run. The three numbers add up to 60 minutes. Many people don't add a delay in the beginning and the time to run affects how much food you add per feeding.

By setting the pump to be on at the top of the hour you will add a feeding. If the pump is off, the feeder won't turn on. As the duration of feeding increased, I learned that I needed to increase the duration of the pump to expel the food, so you may not need to run the pump as long as I do. I found if all the food isn't expelled, it increased the maintenance for feeding tube.
To make sure I'm reading the code right, basically your pump comes on 6 times a day. It runs for 1 minute before the feeder comes on for 3 minutes (must be a REALLY slow auger... great!). The pump continues to run (for a total of 10-20 minutes each time) to get the feed tube cleaned out. OSC function runs 24 hours a day, but will only active the feeder when the pump is on due to line 4. Sound right?

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you change to have an impact on the colors?

I wish I could give a simple answer for one thing that I did. I believe the colors are related to different factors for the different corals. For some corals that were newer, it was a simple case of acclimation. For some corals, as they attained a larger size the colors developed. For others, I believe lowering the nutrient levels has been beneficial.

Water parameters have remained stable and I continue to feed heavily often. ICP tests show in the interval there hasn't been much variation in the major or minor elements. Food, flow, and light remain unchanged. As I mentioned, I did bring the nutrients down from the astronomical levels I had allowed them to reach. Nutrient levels are currently PO4 0.2-0.3 and nitrates 15. Nitrates were addressed primarily through water changes and for the phosphates I've been changing rowa phos GFO once every two weeks.

I'm planning on sending another ICP in a month or so. It will be interesting to see if the GFO has had other affects on the tank's chemistry.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make sure I'm reading the code right, basically your pump comes on 6 times a day. It runs for 1 minute before the feeder comes on for 3 minutes (must be a REALLY slow auger... great!). The pump continues to run (for a total of 10-20 minutes each time) to get the feed tube cleaned out. OSC function runs 24 hours a day, but will only active the feeder when the pump is on due to line 4. Sound right?

That's exactly it. Prior to setting your own parameters, you can run the food auger onto a piece of paper and determine the amount of time required to deliver the desired amount of food per feeding. Based on this you can adjust the programming to suit your needs.

radar_17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly it. Prior to setting your own parameters, you can run the food auger onto a piece of paper and determine the amount of time required to deliver the desired amount of food per feeding. Based on this you can adjust the programming to suit your needs.
Perfect. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the face of one of the meleagris leopards changing colors and appears to be transitioning to male. I was surprised as it is the smallest of the trio. For some reason, I expected it would be the largest wrasse that would be most likely to transition.

1643410976443.png

1643410988246.png

Potters and Choati doing well. The Potter's is getting some new colors in the anterior portion of his dorsal fin, wasn't cooperating to get a photo today.
1643410998379.png

1643411014482.png

Earls, getting bigger and bolder. Smallest fairy wrasse in the display. The Johnson's is getting bigger in the QT system which she has all to herself.
1643411025323.png

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 2022 Full Tank Shot
BW5A1377.jpg

BW5A1395.jpg

Gem Tang fully recovered from his battle with the yellow. Regained his spots as well.
BW5A1378.jpg
BW5A1294.jpg

BW5A1351.jpg

Attachments

• BW5A1289.jpg
    BW5A1289.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 37
  • BW5A1293.jpg
    BW5A1293.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous! Just found this and have lots to catch up on!
Thanks, you have a beautiful tank too. Getting acros to grow like that in a small tank requires some great care. Beautiful build coming up.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 2022 Full Tank Shot
BW5A1377.jpg

BW5A1395.jpg

Gem Tang fully recovered from his battle with the yellow. Regained his spots as well.
BW5A1378.jpg
BW5A1294.jpg

BW5A1351.jpg

I love this tank, by and far my favorite on R2R. Parrot fish stay to themselves for the most part?

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, one of the best ive seen :O

Thank you. To be fair, coral colors look a little deeper when viewed from the top down, but I'm really happy with the shape of the colony and how the colors have developed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this tank, by and far my favorite on R2R. Parrot fish stay to themselves for the most part?

Thanks, that's a really nice compliment. I appreciate that.

The parrot fish is a family favorite and my most colorful fish. He's really personable and approaches the glass any time I get near. Never touched my acros, lps from euphyllia to acanthos, zoas, gorgonians or sponges. Keeps to himself and never bothered any of my other fish.

He's been in the system for about five to six months now and spends all day picking at the rocks. May eat some coralline whether by accident or on purpose.

I'm not sure how readily they always eat, but I had good luck and he started eating the day after being introduced in the system. Now feeds aggressively and eats everything: pellets, freeze dried, frozen foods, nori, red ogo.

Benefits from the frequent feeding as he's an active swimmer and does require some swimming space. Currently 5-6 inches in length and swims primarily with his bright blue pectoral fins looking as though he's gliding through the tank.

1643674767489.png

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that' a really nice compliment. I appreciate that.

The parrot fish is a family favorite and my most colorful fish. He's really personable and approaches the glass any time I get near. Never touched my acros, lps from euphyllia to acanthos, zoas, gorgonians or sponges. Keeps to himself and never bothered any of my other fish.

He's been in the system for about five to six months now and spends all day picking at the rocks. May eat some coralline whether by accident or on purpose.

I'm not sure how readily they always eat, but I had good luck and he started eating the day after being introduced in the system. Now feeds aggressively and eats everything: pellets, freeze dried, frozen foods, nori, red ogo.

Benefits from the frequent feeding as he's an active swimmer and does require some swimming space. Currently 5-6 inches in length and swims primarily with his bright blue pectoral fins looking as though he's gliding through the tank.

1643674767489.png
Always has been A fish on my wish list but have been hesitant to add one. I may have to give one a try if I can find one from somebody reputable

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always has been A fish on my wish list but have been hesitant to add one. I may have to give one a try if I can find one from somebody reputable

I was always timid to order one online, and saw one at the LFS for the first time. It was the perfect size and I'm happy I jumped on it.

Fantastic looking tank, and those wrasses are beautiful!

Thank you!

Speaking of wrasse I did capture this photo of the Potter's new dorsal fin coloration. I would have been happy with the photo if the face were in focus. But this guy moves fast and capturing him in frame, in focus, at the moment he flashes his dorsal fin has been a challenge.

I think this means he's a male now. This happened in the past couple weeks and interesting that the smallest meleagris is transitioning around the same time. I wonder if it's just size or if there is some other environmental cue. Regardless, really cool to see.

BW5A1416.jpg

Hopefully Hawaii opens back up
1643680142997.png

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back