OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics. I have been working on aquarium photography. Defiantly a learning curve....

Thank you. I got a new camera a few months back and I've been working to improve. It's nice to have the digital instant feedback, see what didn't work, and keep practicing. Learning curve is right. It's been fun and every week make a little progress.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I got a new camera a few months back and I've been working to improve. It's nice to have the digital instant feedback, see what didn't work, and keep practicing. Learning curve is right. It's been fun and every week make a little progress.

I just watched this on YouTube. Lightroom is very cool. If you use DLSR, this guy explains it well.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched this on YouTube. Lightroom is very cool. If you use DLSR, this guy explains it well.

Thanks for sharing this! That video was great.

I do use Lightroom and it was really helpful to watch his process. I'm going to set the ISO to auto and see if that helps. The majority of the photos I take I don't like, but as I've been practiced a higher fraction of them are turning out decent. It seemed that even his worst photos were good and he didn't take a truly bad shot, so I've got a lot to work toward.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing this! That video was great.

I do use Lightroom and it was really helpful to watch his process. I'm going to set the ISO to auto and see if that helps. The majority of the photos I take I don't like, but as I've been practiced a higher fraction of them are turning out decent. It seemed that even his worst photos were good and he didn't take a truly bad shot, so I've got a lot to work toward.

Sam will respond to any comment on his channel and would happily answer any questions you have on his photography settings.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that idea. I'll see how things pan out when I reintroduce the tangs as I may need to do this one more time in the near future. In the meantime here are a couple no name acros :D

A. millepora, Daylight
BW5A3191-2.jpg

Actinic XHO
BW5A3220.jpg

A. microclados, Daylight
BW5A3201-3.jpg

Actinic XHO
BW5A3212-4.jpg

I've already got one name lined up for one of these that you won' like! So you better do that thread! :D

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2779.jpeg

I tried reintroducing the tangs after a week out of the system . Initially none of the fish were fighting, but after a couple hours the gem started to atttack the CBB. I sequestered the butterfly in the acclimation box until I could get some time to capture the fish.

I spent a couple hours with a fish trap and removed the gem and purple tang yesterday. Once the gem was removed, I released the copperband and he swam straight to a large aptasia and devoured it. Was awesome to see and could not have been more well timed. The purple took a couple swipes at the butterfly as well and therefore is leaving the system.

The chevron and scopas are both work horses and well behaved, and will remain in the system. I am considering adding back an acanthurus tang deciding between PB, clown, and mimic lemonpeel.

1651253979173.png

Overall system is doing well.
IMG_2782.jpeg

This goniopora lost most of its polyp extension in December during my system downturn (salt or nutrients or something else? ).

It is slowly but surely improving its polyp extension. I don't routinely spot feed my goniopora, but I have been feeding it a mix of gonipower and bene reef once a week for the past month. Not sure if it is helping, but overall a good trend of recovery for one of my favorite corals.

IMG_2783.jpeg

School of cardinals
IMG_2781.jpeg

IMG_2780.jpeg

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great as usual, I'm looking forward to the day mine settles out.

How are you liking the Benereef? I'm a big fan of it personally but in much smaller doses than they recommend. I clearly have fuller LPS and better polyp extension if I stick to a schedule with it.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great as usual, I'm looking forward to the day mine settles out.

How are you liking the Benereef? I'm a big fan of it personally but in much smaller doses than they recommend. I clearly have fuller LPS and better polyp extension if I stick to a schedule with it.

I like the benereef. I’ve observed continued improvement in the Goni since starting to feed it. I am only feeding with the benereef once per week. I’m turning off all flow for 10 min and then keep the returns off for an additional 20 minutes with the power heads running.

I can’t say whether it has an impact on the nutrients. Have you seen any impact on nutrients from feeding the benereef? How often are you feeding it and how often?

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the benereef.

I’ve observed continued improvement in the Goni since starting to feed it. I am only feeding with the benereef once per week. I’m turning off all flow for 10 min and then keep the returns off for an additional 20 minutes with the power heads running.

I can’t say whether it has an impact on the nutrients. Have you seen any impact on nutrients from feeding the benereef? How often are you feeding it and how often?

1/4 recommended dose 2 times a week, I find it initially bumps phosphates then lowers them. Shane uses it as well to lower phosphates, it’s an interesting idea adding bacteria and a food.

Nitrates I have no idea as my tank some how chews through it. At this point I don’t even wait for a nitrate reading as long as it has a shade of pink I’m happy. I would probably benefit from dosing nitrates but it’s something I don’t trust another to do while I’m away.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4 recommended dose 2 times a week, I find it initially bumps phosphates then lowers them. Shane uses it as well to lower phosphates, it’s an interesting idea adding bacteria and a food.

Nitrates I have no idea as my tank some how chews through it. At this point I don’t even wait for a nitrate reading as long as it has a shade of pink I’m happy. I would probably benefit from dosing nitrates but it’s something I don’t trust another to do while I’m away.

I thought it was interesting around the 22 minute mark where he discusses his results from aqua biomics and found he has low numbers of bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrate. He discusses he had read corals prefer nitrogen in the form of ammonia and are likely utilizing the ammonia in his system before it gets converted to nitrate.

He has relatively low fish stocking for the volume of his system despite feeding heavy, and I thought about you and @ScottB and low nitrates while listening to this.

My system on the other hand has one of the highest populations of bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrate that aquabiomics has measured. I’ve had a heavy fish to coral load from early on which I think plays a part in that. My nitrates are currently in the 10-20 range. I’m approaching maxed out on fish so I guess I need more coral to absorb all that ammonia.

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I thought it was interesting around the 22 minute mark where he discusses his results from aqua biomics and found he has low numbers of bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrate. He discusses he had read corals prefer nitrogen in the form of ammonia and are likely utilizing the ammonia in his system before it gets converted to nitrate.

He has relatively low fish stocking for the volume of his system despite feeding heavy, but I thought about you and @ScottB and low nitrates while listening to this.

My system on the other hand has one of the highest populations of bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrate that aquabiomics has measured. I’ve had a heavy fish to coral load from early on which I think plays a part in that. My nitrates are currently in the 10-20 range. I’m approaching maxed out on fish so I guess I need more coral to absorb all that ammonia.

Interesting! Thank you for that post! I know I do not have enough fish in my 300, I think I have a total of 12? My Vlamingi probably counts as 4 more alone lol. I always contributed my low nitrates to the fact I probably have 200+ pounds of ocean live rock in my sump.

I truly wish I could find a reliable source locally to quartine fish, I would pay stupid money just so I don't have to deal with it. I compensate by overfeeding and that causes my phosphates to be much higher than I would like but seems to do nothing to my nitrates. I believe if I add additional fish I can stop worrying about my nitrates bottoming out, I stopped AWC altogether at this point as my corals are much lighter than I would like.

I have added 300 gallons worth of Aquabiomics live sand/ruble 3 times over the last 4 months and an additional 20 pounds of KP live rock. I just added another 300 gallons worth of sand from them yesterday and will send out a sample before I leave on vacation. This was overkill but my bacteria population was all sorts out of whack.

Sounds like a great reason to go shopping!

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly wish I could find a reliable source locally to quartine fish, I would pay stupid money just so I don't have to deal with it. I compensate by overfeeding and that causes my phosphates to be much higher than I would like but seems to do nothing to my nitrates. I believe if I add additional fish I can stop worrying about my nitrates bottoming out, I stopped AWC altogether at this point as my corals are much lighter than I would like.

Although not local, here is a list of QT fish vendors you might consider. @rds85 has shared positive feedback with me about ocean devotion LA.

Sounds like a great reason to go shopping!

Agreed! I’m working on it :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this tabling acro. It's grown out for me over the past five years. Recently, detritus settles between the corallites. My pumps are all set to 40% max so a lot of room to bump up the flow. I can go to 100% and no issue with the sand. The problem I have is my LPS. I have a low flow area, and I can move the meaty LPS. The polyps move well on the acros throughout the system as is, but this particular colony needs more flow now that it has reached this size.

C38918A5-EEA3-4531-8D22-F1235BB0956A_1_105_c.jpeg

87A4710E-1526-48E4-8EA6-28180861BF99_1_105_c.jpeg

I could leave the colony where it is and bump up the flow. I would have to move the Welso, which is one option. Alternatively, I can move the colony and open up some real estate for several new frags that just made it through QT. Mostly millepora.

Decisions, decisions

07D92375-5F1B-4754-A712-4DC1A00DD4A2_1_105_c.jpeg

BW5A3273.jpg
BW5A3292.jpg

BW5A3297.jpg
BW5A3298.jpg

BW5A3274.jpg
BW5A3303.jpg

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this tabling acro. It's grown out for me over the past five years. Recently, detritus settles between the corallites. My pumps are all set to 40% max so a lot of room to bump up the flow. I can go to 100% and no issue with the sand. The problem I have is my LPS. I have a low flow area, and I can move the meaty LPS. The polyps move well on the acros throughout the system as is, but this particular colony needs more flow now that it has reached this size.

I could leave the colony where it is and bump up the flow. I would have to move the Welso, which is one option. Alternatively, I can move the colony and open up some real estate for several new frags that just made it through QT. Mostly millepora.

Decisions, decisions

BW5A3273.jpg
BW5A3292.jpg

BW5A3297.jpg
BW5A3298.jpg

BW5A3274.jpg
BW5A3303.jpg
Move LPS. You'll have to move them all eventually anyway when your other sps grow into colonies. I had the same problem and now moving to all sps. Just easier. Mixed tanks are a pain

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Decisions, decisions

BW5A3273.jpg
BW5A3292.jpg

BW5A3297.jpg
BW5A3298.jpg

BW5A3274.jpg
BW5A3303.jpg
My big tables tend to get into that detritus trap problem beyond 8 inches or so. My display is only 5 feet, so I end up dropping them on the floor and remounting a chunk while fragging the rest.

You could move it higher, but it will (eventually) be throwing a lot of shade.

That last red frag... is that POTO Flamethrower?

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move LPS. You'll have to move them all eventually anyway when your other sps grow into colonies. I had the same problem and now moving to all sps. Just easier. Mixed tanks are a pain

For now, still enjoying the challenge, but I think some musical chairs with the LPS may be in order and bump up the flow. The torches and goniopora handle the flow well. The meatier LPS like the acanthophylia and welsophylia, not so much.

My big tables tend to get into that detritus trap problem beyond 8 inches or so. My display is only 5 feet, so I end up dropping them on the floor and remounting a chunk while fragging the rest.

You could move it higher, but it will (eventually) be throwing a lot of shade.

That last red frag... is that POTO Flamethrower?

This is precisely what I'm experiencing. The polyps on all the corals are moving well everywhere, but this particular coral is trapping the detritus. I have it low deliberately to avoid the shading issue, and like the aesthetic in this location.

I do have another location where it will receive more direct flow without causing any shading issues that ultimately I think I'm going to try. After growing it out, I would be disappointed to have to frag it. I may not have a choice, if I don't do something the colony will develop problems. So far this is a new issue that has only recently come up, so no real problem yet.

I go the last frag from @snipersps, he called it Big red. Not sure what species it is, but it's a bright red and looks good in daylights and blues.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now, still enjoying the challenge, but I think some musical chairs with the LPS may be in order and bump up the flow. The torches and goniopora handle the flow well. The meatier LPS like the acanthophylia and welsophylia, not so much.

This is precisely what I'm experiencing. The polyps on all the corals are moving well everywhere, but this particular coral is trapping the detritus. I have it low deliberately to avoid the shading issue, and like the aesthetic in this location.

I do have another location where it will receive more direct flow without causing any shading issues that ultimately I think I'm going to try. After growing it out, I would be disappointed to have to frag it. I may not have a choice, if I don't do something the colony will develop problems. So far this is a new issue that has only recently come up, so no real problem yet.

I go the last frag from @snipersps, he called it Big red. Not sure what species it is, but it's a bright red and looks good in daylights and blues.
I have a couple more table colonies that have done this over the course of 3-4 years. My LFS sold this 14" one for me, but not many tanks are suitable. At size, these colonies become obstructions to flow. In a 5' tank I was running 2 X MP40 and 2 X Gyres.

The Millis look great as does Big Red. I've had Pieces of the Ocean Flamethrower for over a year. Completely stalled but it is a beautiful piece. Hopefully others are doing better with it than I am :).

IMG-4750.JPG

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple more table colonies that have done this over the course of 3-4 years. My LFS sold this 14" one for me, but not many tanks are suitable. At size, these colonies become obstructions to flow. In a 5' tank I was running 2 X MP40 and 2 X Gyres.

The Millis look great as does Big Red. I've had Pieces of the Ocean Flamethrower for over a year. Completely stalled but it is a beautiful piece. Hopefully others are doing better with it than I am :).

IMG-4750.JPG
Is that an efflo? I love large colonies.

You called it. It measured 8 x 9 "
IMG_2858.JPG

It is directly in the path of one of the MP60's. There is also a reef wave on the top of back the glass that is angled down. So much more direct flow that I expect will reduce the detritus settling.

IMG_2866.JPG

I have a piece of PVC supporting it. Before attaching to the rock I like to prime the rock by scaping any corralline away and exposing raw rock to interdigitate with the glue. I find a ringed curette and rongeur the best instruments to do this. A bone cutter can work as well.

Once the rock is exposed I used a generous amount of coral glue to attach to the rock. I then add putty to provide futher molding and support.

Not sure if there are other tricks that might be helpful. I'm planning on giving things 24 hours to cure and remove the pvc support.

IMG_2859.JPG
IMG_2860.JPG

I left about 5" from the front glass. Maybe a little closer than ideal. I'll likely shift around some LPS still and bump up the flow a little as well.

IMG_2861.JPG

Last edited:
Back