OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if the torches spawned or if there is another mechanism of reproduction. Sort of reminds of a pocillopora where new corals start appearing.

There are three new torches in the photo below that have been growing over the past 6 months plus. The color forms vary a bit. Most of them appear to have yellow polyps with a green mouth, but some of them have more orange polyps. Nice varieties, but as they grow getting close to some of the acros and I may need to remove from the rock. Not sure the best way to do this without damaging the tiny torch skeletons. Wire saw, bone cutter, maybe a scalpel to the base since the skeleton is so thin?
BW5A3401.jpg
BW5A3393.jpg

Just found this one, which is tiny, measuring perhaps 3-4 mm in diameter at most. There are a couple others even smaller than this and the reason I'm questioning if the torches are spawning or if there is a different form of reproduction. I suppose this is a good problem to have.
BW5A3445.jpg

Here's a quick video of the tank from this morning

ryanrick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if the torches spawned or if there is another mechanism of reproduction. Sort of reminds of a pocillopora where new corals start appearing.

There are three new torches in the photo below that have been growing over the past 6 months plus. The color forms vary a bit. Most of them appear to have yellow polyps with a green mouth, but some of them have more orange polyps. Nice varieties, but as they grow getting close to some of the acros and I may need to remove from the rock. Not sure the best way to do this without damaging the tiny torch skeletons. Wire saw, bone cutter, maybe a scalpel to the base since the skeleton is so thin?
BW5A3401.jpg
BW5A3393.jpg

Just found this one, which is tiny, measuring perhaps 3-4 mm in diameter at most. There are a couple others even smaller than this and the reason I'm questioning if the torches are spawning or if there is a different form of reproduction. I suppose this is a good problem to have.
BW5A3445.jpg

What a fun surprise! How many baby torches have you spotted?

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a fun surprise! How many baby torches have you spotted?

There are about a dozen that I'm aware of currently. Varying sizes. I initially noticed something fluorescing on top of the rock work last August.

I had posted on the ID thread as initially wasn't sure what I was looking at.

Over time, I have had a few others that subsequently didn't make it, but the majority have grown well, and interesting that new tiny ones continue to periodically appear.

ryanrick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are about a dozen that I'm aware of currently. Varying sizes. I initially noticed something fluorescing on top of the rock work last August.

I had posted on the ID thread as initially wasn't sure what I was looking at.

Over time, I have had a few others that subsequently didn't make it, but the majority have grown well, and interesting that new tiny ones continue to periodically appear.
Good thing you didn't zap it! Area each of them different color morphs?

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing you didn't zap it! Area each of them different color morphs?

They all have a green mouth. Most of them have yellow/gold polyps with some green in them. A couple of them have more orange toned polyps.

One of the larger ones is stinging the tip of of one of the adjacent acros. It's large enough I'm tempted to cut it off the rock, but I may just cut a frag off the acro and give the torch's skeleton more time to grow. Although eventually I'll need to relocate it, the chances of injuring it in the process will go down as it gets larger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WT TDF (Halides)
BW5A3504-2.jpg

WT TDF (Top down, actinics)

BW5A3524.jpg

RRC Splice
BW5A3532.jpg

BC Aquatic Man Table
BW5A3542.jpg

BC Gilded Lily
BW5A3543.jpg

BC Wild Karde
BW5A3544.jpg

BC Rainbows Army
BW5A3548.jpg

TGC El Guapo
BW5A3550.jpg

JF Jolt
BW5A3562.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WT TDF (Halides)
BW5A3504-2.jpg

WT TDF (Top down, actinics)

BW5A3524.jpg

RRC Splice
BW5A3532.jpg

BC Aquatic Man Table
BW5A3542.jpg

BC Gilded Lily
BW5A3543.jpg

BC Wild Karde
BW5A3544.jpg

BC Rainbows Army
BW5A3548.jpg

TGC El Guapo
BW5A3550.jpg

JF Jolt
BW5A3562.jpg
Absolutely stellar photos!!!

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BW5A3401.jpg
BW5A3393.jpg

BW5A3445.jpg

Once again, your system is so amazing you spawned euphyllia. That is incredible. I think you should wait a bit before attempting to remove the babies. They will have better survivability. I think a dental pick or exacto knife would pop the skeleton off the rock with no problem. Glue those bad boys to a plug and let them grow on a rack on the back wall.

Not only will they be worth some good money as "mariculture spawned", but who knows what cool color morphs you might get and want to keep. Plus, by documenting this, it could be a huge scientific step for our community. A cheap camera with infrared could record you tank at night and you could see if more coral or fish are Spawning.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again, your system is so amazing you spawned euphyllia. That is incredible. I think you should wait a bit before attempting to remove the babies. They will have better survivability. I think a dental pick or exacto knife would pop the skeleton off the rock with no problem. Glue those bad boys to a plug and let them grow on a rack on the back wall.

Not only will they be worth some good money as "mariculture spawned", but who knows what cool color morphs you might get and want to keep. Plus, by documenting this, it could be a huge scientific step for our community. A cheap camera with infrared could record you tank at night and you could see if more coral or fish are Spawning.

When I spent some time taking some top down photos recently, I realized there are a lot of baby torch corals of varying sizes. Probably around 20 of them in various locations. It reminded of me of a pocillopora since the babies have come at different times and just seem to keep popping up.

I started looking into it and Euphyllia glabrescens is a brooding coral. I don't believe they broadcast spawn.
D7CF0E75-1C44-42E8-BBA7-DE6A4F682FA1_1_105_c.jpeg

This article describes them and hermaphroditic brooding corals. Interestingly notes different forms of zooxanthellae acquisition. Not sure if that accounts for the different color morphs of the babies or if it simply the result of different gamete combos in the formation of the larva.

I'm attaching two papers I found. One discusses the timing of larval release in five brooding corals. Two of them are E. glabrescens AND Pocillopora damicronis. The second paper also discusses the timing of release of larva but is more specific to torches and included a couple of photos of the planulae inside the tentacles. I haven't seen this yet in my own torches, but didn't know to look for it.

It does seem that the planula are settling in the system consistently. I am curious if others have kept torches have had similar experiences.

Attachments

• Diel_patterns_of_larval_release_by_five_brooding_s.pdf
    399.3 KB · Views: 42
  • E. glabrescens larva.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 35

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awespme
When I spent some time taking some top down photos recently, I realized there are a lot of baby torch corals of varying sizes. Probably around 20 of them in various locations. It reminded of me of a pocillopora since the babies have come at different times and just seem to keep popping up.

I started looking into it and Euphyllia glabrescens is a brooding coral. I don't believe they broadcast spawn.

This article describes them and hermaphroditic brooding corals. Interestingly notes different forms of zooxanthellae acquisition. Not sure if that accounts for the different color morphs of the babies or if it simply the result of different gamete combos in the formation of the larva.

I'm attaching two papers I found. One discusses the timing of larval release in five brooding corals. Two of them are E. glabrescens AND Pocillopora damicronis. The second paper also discusses the timing of release of larva but is more specific to torches and included a couple of photos of the planulae inside the tentacles. I haven't seen this yet in my own torches, but didn't know to look for it.

It does seem that the planula are settling in the system consistently. I am curious if others have kept torches have had similar experience
Awesome! I'll read those tonight. I'm finally delving into scientific articles as well, so if I see anything, I'll let you know.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another tenuis. Starting to look happy. Encrusted quickly and colors improving.

BW5A3530.jpg

A. microclados, Short cake variant
BW5A3525-2.jpg

Unknown acro species
BW5A3561.jpg

ryanrick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It does seem that the planula are settling in the system consistently. I am curious if others have kept torches have had similar experiences.
Please let us know if you are able to see any planulae in the torches!

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18 months old. Overall system is doing well. Still working to adjust the nutrient export. Current nitrates 20, phosphates 0.15. I was dealing with aptasia, but the copperband has taken care of that.

The corals are growing. The LPS are generally doing well. I tried moving one of the goniopora and it didn't like the new location, moved it back and slowly polyps are re-extending. Acros are growing. I had a strange loss of part of the ORA frog skin. It developed an infection in the center of the colony. Tips and base were fine. I removed and dipped the colony and the dip was clean. I fragged and excised the area of tissue loss, and will work to regrow the colony. All the other acropora are doing well.

Fish are all doing well. Janss is handling the flow without any problems. Nine purple queens (pascalus anthias) continue doing well. Social structure remains stable. One dominant male with six females swim out in the flow most of the day. Two subdominant males are in the periphery. I'll be adding some tangs in the next month.

BW5A3683-3.jpg

BW5A3677.jpg

IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_2958.JPG

BW5A3647.jpg

BW5A3607.jpg

BW5A3628.jpg

BW5A3636.jpg

BW5A3598.jpg

BW5A3618.jpg

Johnson wrasse's starting to flash in the evenings and colors are deepening. The pair are eating well and visibly growing. Hopefully in a couple months will be able to safely transition to the display.
BW5A3588-4.jpg

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the light spill with the Giesmann Spectra 72"? I'd like to be able to sit on my couch in front of the tank and not be blasted by my lighting.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the light spill with the Giesmann Spectra 72"? I'd like to be able to sit on my couch in front of the tank and not be blasted by my lighting.

Light spill or just nuisance lighting will depend on the distance of the fixture from the top of the tank, seating height, viewing distance, and width of the tank to a degree.

In my case, the stand is 36" tall, the tank is 27" in height, and the fixture is 11" from the water surface. I snapped this photo for you right now from a 16" seating height , 10' away from the tank in order to give you an idea.

As you can see, the halides are visible. In my case, I don't consider the light spill to be an issue. If it were, I could lower the fixture or look for an alternative solution. The tank could handle the bump in PAR, but heat would be an additional issue that I would need to keep an eye on.

Any light source, can give you light spill. So it is a potential issue with this fixture as with any other.

IMG_2965.jpeg

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is doing well, but an update on my highlighter tabling acro.

Having reached over 8" in all dimensions after five years my the colony had started to trap detritus in between the corallites.

BE9204D6-B90C-4E05-9E5F-583AE8DF3BD6_1_105_c.jpeg

I moved it to an area with higher flow. Despite this, some areas between the corallites had already been damaged by the accumulation of detritus and a small amount of algae was growing in the area. I was optimistic that with the higher flow the coral would heal and was routinely careful to monitor the coral to ensure to no further detritus as well as manual removal of the algae.

Wednesday evening when I arrived home from work, I noted an area of the coral was necrosing due to a presumed bacterial infection.

IMG_2966.jpeg

I decided I would need to follow @ScottB 's experience and frag the coral. This coral is very thick though, and it would require a band saw which I don't have. I coordinated with a friend to come over the following afternoon to frag the coral.

Thursday morning the infection had spread rapidly. I fragged some of the tips of the coral that I was able to cut with bone cutters. I attempted to cut the colony, but it was too thick, and I considered a chisel and hammer, but decided to wait for the saw a little later in the day.
IMG_2968.jpeg

By Thursday afternoon, more than half the coral was dead. Looking under the coral, the tissue was receding off of even more of the coral.

IMG_2970.jpeg

Yesterday afternoon, we cut the coral with what grossly appeared to be a good margin of healthy tissue. Unfortunately, this morning the cut segments were dead.

43ADF4C6-1F50-49CA-B217-A8361B9E0C11_1_105_c.jpeg

The frags that I cut prior to getting access to the saw remain alive and so all isn't lost and I will get the chance to grow out this coral again.

ryanrick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is doing well, but an update on my highlighter tabling acro.

Having reached over 8" in all dimensions after five years my the colony had started to trap detritus in between the corallites.

BE9204D6-B90C-4E05-9E5F-583AE8DF3BD6_1_105_c.jpeg

I moved it to an area with higher flow. Despite this, some areas between the corallites had already been damaged by the accumulation of detritus and a small amount of algae was growing in the area. I was optimistic that with the higher flow the coral would heal and was routinely careful to monitor the coral to ensure to no further detritus as well as manual removal of the algae.

Wednesday evening when I arrived home from work, I noted an area of the coral was necrosing due to a presumed bacterial infection.

IMG_2966.jpeg

I decided I would need to follow @ScottB 's experience and frag the coral. This coral is very thick though, and it would require a band saw which I don't have. I coordinated with a friend to come over the following afternoon to frag the coral.

Thursday morning the infection had spread rapidly. I fragged some of the tips of the coral that I was able to cut with bone cutters. I attempted to cut the colony, but it was too thick, and I considered a chisel and hammer, but decided to wait for the saw a little later in the day.
IMG_2968.jpeg

By Thursday afternoon, more than half the coral was dead. Looking under the coral, the tissue was receding off of even more of the coral.

IMG_2970.jpeg

Yesterday afternoon, we cut the coral with what grossly appeared to be a good margin of healthy tissue. Unfortunately, this morning the cut segments were dead.

43ADF4C6-1F50-49CA-B217-A8361B9E0C11_1_105_c.jpeg

The frags that I cut prior to getting access to the saw remain alive and so all isn't lost and I will get the chance to grow out this coral again.
Dang, that was one of the more epic corals I've seen in a tank. I look forward to seeing it grow back in!

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a more positive note, some fish additions this week.

A captive bred yellow tang from Biota. I have never seen a yellow tang this small. I may place him in the other tank with the johnsoni wrasse to get bigger. I'm a little surprised at how small Biota ships these out. Sort of wish they would wait until they grow just a little bigger. This guy is in an acclimation box and hasn't eaten yet, but still getting settled.

49C913BD-F2B2-47C1-A6AC-4C66C79475EB_1_105_c.jpeg

One of the final fish additions, an acanthurus tang. My wife and daughter's got to decide the species and went with a lineatus. Ate some frozen today and was QT'd.
216CDB93-A427-4B6C-A232-B457DC78EE3A_1_105_c.jpeg

Final addition is a multi banded pipefish. Similar to the Janns, no difficulty with the flow. Swims in the water column, and highly visible with beautiful coloration.

This is a healthy specimen and has been actively hunting along the back of the glass and picking all day. Has acclimated to the system well and faster than expected.

F3E7369A-5CBB-4784-A565-D85B516E277C_1_105_c.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back