OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank
How high is the spectra, does it generate alot of heats ?
Thanks! I have the Spectra about 12" off the surface of the water. It definitely generates some heat even without a canopy. It heats the water a little, but so far it's been easy to manage with a fan directed at the water in the sump for some evaporative cooling. I haven't needed a chiller, and I hope not to need one, but it is something that's on my radar to look out for this summer.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 3 months with the purple queen anthias. The ten that survived after a month are all doing well currently.

0218413A-54F1-4B85-8B79-962812A47DB3_1_105_c.jpeg

I added a captive bred Janss' pipefish a few weeks ago, and he appears to have set up a cleaning station under one of the overhangs. Spends the morning along the back glass picking pods and then tucks into the same overhang the rest of the day. I tried to catch a couple videos of the pipefish cleaning one of the anthias this morning.

IMG_4435.jpg

This is a better angle for the video, but unfortunately I spooked the anthias. The pipefish is pretty small currently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent build. I also recently got a tree sponge and curious how well it will do long term.
Thank you. I'm curious too regarding long term survival. I wasn't able to find a lot of information. I'm importing a lot of nutrients into the tank. I was thinking this may make the environment more favorable for some of the filter feeding organisms and at the same time help export nutrients more naturally.

The tree sponge arrived in excellent condition, and still appears to be in great shape, but it's only been about 3 weeks. The vendor I purchased from recommended phyto twice / week. I've been target feeding Phycopure Reef Blend which is the product they were using. I've been target feeding once to twice / week. It's an area of high flow, and gets some light on the sand bed, but no signs of algae or cyano so far. It adds a really nice aesthetic dimension, and the hawkfish likes spending a lot of time perched there, so I'm reluctant to put it in the shade, but prepared to do so if anything starts growing on it.

Just curious what you've been doing for nutrition or any other care tips you might have learned?

Last edited:

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I'm curious too regarding long term survival. I wasn't able to find a lot of information. I'm importing a lot of nutrients into the tank. I was thinking this may make the environment more favorable for some of the filter feeding organisms and at the same time help export nutrients more naturally.

The tree sponge arrived in excellent condition, and still appears to be in great shape, but it's only been about 3 weeks. The vendor I purchased from recommended phyto twice / week. I've been target feeding Phycopure Reef Blend which is the product they were using. I've been target feeding once to twice / week. It's an area of high flow, and gets some light on the sand bed, but no signs of algae or cyano so far. It adds a really nice aesthetic dimension, and the hawkfish likes spending a lot of time perched there, so I'm reluctant to put it in the shade, but prepared to do so if anything starts growing on it.

Just curious what you've been doing for nutrition or any other care tips you might have learned?
The details of the sponge when you have it in the light and up close are so intriguing I would be reluctant to move it as well.

I have actually have only had mine a week and half... so I cannot backup any process or actions so far. The differences though for me are:
Lives in the display fuge in hopes of growing out for the true natural fish food for my moorish idol and regal angel ( no idea if this will work or not)
I dose phyoto every other day directly to the fuge into the return nozzle that directs flow to the sponge, but do not directly target feed. I am trying to find another solution for long term as phyto can get tedious and a non ideal expense.
I also use the KZ product Sponge Power. Do I have a good reason for it ( Nope). And I already had it because I like to dabble with coral colors and tissue responses and currently I need a ton more nutrient input in my system as I try to balance the import versus export. dang Ulva is too efficient (or at least currently is my thoughts) at removing nutrients before my corals can get any and started to pale way out, but when I add more nutrient the ulva still wins. So playing with fuge light cycle time, import, export, getting more fish etc the normal games to play with sticks

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The details of the sponge when you have it in the light and up close are so intriguing I would be reluctant to move it as well.

I have actually have only had mine a week and half... so I cannot backup any process or actions so far. The differences though for me are:
Lives in the display fuge in hopes of growing out for the true natural fish food for my moorish idol and regal angel ( no idea if this will work or not)
I dose phyoto every other day directly to the fuge into the return nozzle that directs flow to the sponge, but do not directly target feed. I am trying to find another solution for long term as phyto can get tedious and a non ideal expense.
I also use the KZ product Sponge Power. Do I have a good reason for it ( Nope). And I already had it because I like to dabble with coral colors and tissue responses and currently I need a ton more nutrient input in my system as I try to balance the import versus export. dang Ulva is too efficient (or at least currently is my thoughts) at removing nutrients before my corals can get any and started to pale way out, but when I add more nutrient the ulva still wins. So playing with fuge light cycle time, import, export, getting more fish etc the normal games to play with stick
It would be amazing if you are able to grow the sponges to feed the idol and angel. It seems like a natural addition to a refugium. It would be an awesome cycle to have macros and sponges take up the tank's nutrients and then to feed them back to the tank.

For me, the best (most consistent) regimen would be not adding anything to my current feeding regimen. My current schedule is not necessarily heavy per feeding, but is frequent and heavy in total. There is also a fair amount of planktonic particulate which I'm hoping the sps (when I have more) will like and i'm hoping the sponge can consume as well which is the purpose I had in mind when initially adding it. I've ended up liking the way it looks more than I expected.

I've looked at a few different things to supplement that I'm not currently employing, but haven't ruled them out for the future. I looked at dosing yeast or sponge power which I think both have the effect of adding an organic resulting in bacteria for the sponge to consume. I'm not sure if this is actually what happens or that I fully understand this, and I wish the effect on the system was clearer. I've also thought about potentially dosing silicates, but I'm not there yet.

At this point, I'll add one variable with the phyto based on the recommendation I received and see how it goes, but may try some other things down the road.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be amazing if you are able to grow the sponges to feed the idol and angel. It seems like a natural addition to a refugium. It would be an awesome cycle to have macros and sponges take up the tank's nutrients and then to feed them back to the tank.

For me, the best (most consistent) regimen would be not adding anything to my current feeding regimen. My current schedule is not necessarily heavy per feeding, but is frequent and heavy in total. There is also a fair amount of planktonic particulate which I'm hoping the sps (when I have more) will like and i'm hoping the sponge can consume as well which is the purpose I had in mind when initially adding it. I've ended up liking the way it looks more than I expected.

I've looked at a few different things to supplement that I'm not currently employing, but haven't ruled them out for the future. I looked at dosing yeast or sponge power which I think both have the effect of adding an organic resulting in bacteria for the sponge to consume. I'm not sure if this is actually what happens or that I fully understand this, and I wish the effect on the system was clearer. I've also thought about potentially dosing silicates, but I'm not there yet.

At this point, I'll add one variable with the phyto based on the recommendation I received and see how it goes, but may try some other things down the road.
I agree, long term health on the idol is what I really want. So the 15 dollar attempt to grow sponge is worth it in my opinion. I will make sure to update you once the sponge is settled and showing signs of growth if the idol takes to it at all.

I really like the texture and the supplemental clear tube structures that come out when phyto is dosed. Really cool animal. I do have a concern with it though. Pods have been ALL over it. Every centimeter seems to be another two pods.

I also wish I knew more facts about the entire KZ product line. I plan on continuing the sponge power dosing and can update you if I think it did anything.

I wouldn't does silicates, so let me know if you ever go that route as I am curious.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, long term health on the idol is what I really want. So the 15 dollar attempt to grow sponge is worth it in my opinion. I will make sure to update you once the sponge is settled and showing signs of growth if the idol takes to it at all.

I really like the texture and the supplemental clear tube structures that come out when phyto is dosed. Really cool animal. I do have a concern with it though. Pods have been ALL over it. Every centimeter seems to be another two pods.

I also wish I knew more facts about the entire KZ product line. I plan on continuing the sponge power dosing and can update you if I think it did anything.

I wouldn't does silicates, so let me know if you ever go that route as I am curious.

Yes, please let me know how things go and what you learn. It's an area that I find intriguing and I'm sure some sponges are going to be more amenable to our systems with different forms, different sized ostia and corresponding nutritional needs. I think your goal of growing a sponge and supplementing the food for the fish is attainable, I think we just need to pick the right sponges and understand them better.

Also I'm not sure they're all as delicate as people make them out. Here's an interesting video regarding sponge reaggregation from the BBC. I cringed a little watching the researcher handle the sponge, but if that's not enough to kill a sponge in captivity, then I think we can find a way to make this work.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, please let me know how things go and what you learn. It's an area that I find intriguing and I'm sure some sponges are going to be more amenable to our systems with different forms, different sized ostia and corresponding nutritional needs. I think your goal of growing a sponge and supplementing the food for the fish is attainable, I think we just need to pick the right sponges and understand them better.

Also I'm not sure they're all as delicate as people make them out. Here's an interesting video regarding sponge reaggregation from the BBC. I cringed a little watching the researcher handle the sponge, but if that's not enough to kill a sponge in captivity, then I think we can find a way to make this work.

Will do. I remember back in the day Paul B tried to do something similar for his idols, but cannot recall the end results. I agree, I am not sure what the "right" sponge choices would actually be for this. There is minimal information out there when it comes to sponges (not pineapple) in the reef aquarium and long term survival care.

That was wild to watch! Thank you for sharing. I am debating now to get a few different types of sponges to increase my species variability.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. I remember back in the day Paul B tried to do something similar for his idols, but cannot recall the end results. I agree, I am not sure what the "right" sponge choices would actually be for this. There is minimal information out there when it comes to sponges (not pineapple) in the reef aquarium and long term survival care.

That was wild to watch! Thank you for sharing. I am debating now to get a few different types of sponges to increase my species variability.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. A couple new additions to the sponge garden. I'll update how things go.

IMG_4478.jpeg

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to experiment and run without a timer. Unfortunately this round of experimentation got affected because currently I have the second filter roller offline due to the base piece of the roller falling out. Geo is helping me get this fixed, but unfortunately this is going to affect how rapidly this roll gets used up. I didn't have an issue when I was using the timer, and had the first roller running less frequently.

IMG_4451.jpg

Here is the most recent iteration of the apex programming I was using.

3F96C1E5-EA86-4150-BBF3-7E88F673ADF0_1_105_c.jpeg
7ABFE0CE-7998-4D77-BD36-B5CBFD473990_1_105_c.jpeg

The skimmer was generating skimmate well using this programming. That's the other reason I initially decided to use the timer in addition to extending the life of the rolls. I was concerned the filter rollers might be too effective and potentially overfilter the water. I wasn't sure if this would have a negative affect on the skimmer function, despite undersizing the skimmer, and also affect my ability to sustain macroalgaes in the refugium. The skimmer was functioning well and the macro algae has been growing after getting a second batch a couple months ago with the programming above. Things are progressing well, but I'm still working to find the right balance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try the timer also. This is my first roll after about 4 days. The second roll has been on for about 2 weeks
A15ACC62-4578-41CA-A53F-C4C7B789C605.jpeg

thanks for the timer idea.
One thing I've done currently, but don't have a result to report, is I've rotated the float sensor holder in the chamber 180 degrees raising it relative to the float in the second chamber. I'm happy with the filter rollers, but I'm still working to figure out an ideal way to run them for my system. Running them with the timers was working well, but right now I'm just having a little fun experimenting.

The flow for my system is about 950 GPH. Do you know how much flow is going through your sump?

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been considering keeping a cuttle fish in the refugium. I thought the kids would enjoy seeing it stalk and prey on ghost shrimp. In a slight change of plan, I ended up ordering an atlantic pygmy octopus (Octopus joubini).

0A7FF4ED-04A5-43D5-AC0C-8FCEC0162701_1_105_c.jpeg

She arrived yesterday and was hiding in a piece of pvc included in the shipping bag. I removed her from the pipe and was surprised to find she layed eggs in transit.

34A94275-9B12-490B-B8BC-69462DD7348E_1_105_c.jpeg

Mom is back in the pvc in the fuge caring for the eggs. Apparently they blow water over the eggs tending to them. Unfortunately this means mom will die shortly after the eggs hatch in 4-8 weeks.

From what I understand, the babies need regular access to a live food source and can be a challenge to raise. The fuge is loaded with pods and amphipods. I'll be prepared with some baby brine and may order some mysid and will try my best to raise them.

DC1498AE-9427-4711-B702-B4A66863AA51_1_102_o.jpeg

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been considering keeping a cuttle fish in the refugium. I thought the kids would enjoy seeing it stalk and prey on ghost shrimp. In a slight change of plan, I ended up ordering an atlantic pygmy octopus (Octopus joubini).

0A7FF4ED-04A5-43D5-AC0C-8FCEC0162701_1_105_c.jpeg

She arrived yesterday and was hiding in a piece of pvc included in the shipping bag. I removed her from the pipe and was surprised to find she layed eggs in transit.

34A94275-9B12-490B-B8BC-69462DD7348E_1_105_c.jpeg

Mom is back in the pvc in the fuge caring for the eggs. Apparently they blow water over the eggs tending to them. Unfortunately this means mom will die shortly after the eggs hatch in 4-8 weeks.

From what I understand, the babies need regular access to a live food source and can be a challenge to raise. The fuge is loaded with pods and amphipods. I'll be prepared with some baby brine and may order some mysid and will try my best to raise them.

DC1498AE-9427-4711-B702-B4A66863AA51_1_102_o.jpeg
You are in for a wild ride it seems!

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was an unexpected surprise, and looking forward to the ride! Orange ridge sponge has developed an interesting subtle texture opening its osticulum.
IMG_4517.jpg
IMG_4494.jpg
These are beautiful in their own right. Where are you sourcing these? If I didn't have sponge eaters in the DT, that is where mine would live. I have a fuge with a divider in the middle, I am going to use your experience with all of these on top of mine to see if it would be worth splitting the fuge into half macro and half sponges. To be totally honest, if I had a sponge section.... I would have to get an angler for that section as they just fit the bill for sponge tank.

Are you running carbon proactively for the first few months incase of death/decay of any of the sponges. Read some articles showing their toxicity when dying. The level of toxicity seem to unclear in regards to closed system volume and filtration method. A blanket toxic claim is hard to gauge the level concern I should keep. Simply put if angles and idols eat these in the wild as their main nutrition source, how toxic can they really be. Curious your thoughts on the matter.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back