Sea Hare - skin disease?

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi

I’ve had my sea hare for about 8 months and it has done quite well. I noticed the other day that it has this large patch of what appears to be a lesion on its back. This is new as if the last 2 weeks or so.

I’m not sure what to describe about it other than it’s a greenish brown color. When I picked up the sea hare and touched its back a good portion of the lesion started to slough off but what you see in the picture remains.

One thing to note is I have been battling dinos for the last 3 months and have had a couple 3 day dark periods. I also bought and am currently using a UV sterilizer. The dinos are barely hanging on right now as I have beat them back pretty well, but I am in the midst of another blackout. I have also allowed my tank to dirty up somewhat and nitrates are rather high at about 20-25ppm. I am in the midst of doing a 50% water change though.

anyone have any ideas on what’s going on or how to help it? Hoping to help it out as the sea hare is a family favorite.

7A866E45-3CA6-4F73-A60F-222C9D4F7B53.jpeg

Fritz

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
That splitting is generally a sign of nutritional deficiency and not good
Algae sheets will supplement them but not long term. They need a constant supply of textured food.
I list 2 of 8 over many years and both had this very sign

OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you I have been supplementing his diet with seaweed sheets. Do you have any suggestions on what other foods I might provide to him?

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you I have been supplementing his diet with seaweed sheets. Do you have any suggestions on what other foods I might provide to him?
mine also picks up pellets off of the sand bed. and i use omega one seaweed sheets, the green one not the red.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ReefStache

Do you own a fish trap and acclimation box or just one or the other?

• I own both a fish trap and acclimation box

Votes: 61 15.8%
  • Just a fish trap

Votes: 47 12.2%
  • Just an acclimation box

Votes: 104 27.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 166 43.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.8%
Geo's Reef