Sea Hare - skin disease?

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I’ve had my sea hare for about 8 months and it has done quite well. I noticed the other day that it has this large patch of what appears to be a lesion on its back. This is new as if the last 2 weeks or so.

I’m not sure what to describe about it other than it’s a greenish brown color. When I picked up the sea hare and touched its back a good portion of the lesion started to slough off but what you see in the picture remains.

One thing to note is I have been battling dinos for the last 3 months and have had a couple 3 day dark periods. I also bought and am currently using a UV sterilizer. The dinos are barely hanging on right now as I have beat them back pretty well, but I am in the midst of another blackout. I have also allowed my tank to dirty up somewhat and nitrates are rather high at about 20-25ppm. I am in the midst of doing a 50% water change though.

anyone have any ideas on what’s going on or how to help it? Hoping to help it out as the sea hare is a family favorite.

7A866E45-3CA6-4F73-A60F-222C9D4F7B53.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That splitting is generally a sign of nutritional deficiency and not good
Algae sheets will supplement them but not long term. They need a constant supply of textured food.
I list 2 of 8 over many years and both had this very sign

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I have been supplementing his diet with seaweed sheets. Do you have any suggestions on what other foods I might provide to him?

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I have been supplementing his diet with seaweed sheets. Do you have any suggestions on what other foods I might provide to him?
mine also picks up pellets off of the sand bed. and i use omega one seaweed sheets, the green one not the red.

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Hare died unfortunately, but I do have a fire shrimp...not a skunk

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back