Sea Hare.

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

So I have been battling with hair algae since I moved. there is nowhere in my apartment that doesn't have direct or indirect sunlight so even keeping the tanks LED lights off isn't enough to keep the growth going. I got a lawnmower blenny to help with manually picking it off with weekly water changes with no success. It was more interested in the slime algae on the glass and eating the brine shrimp used to fead my seahorses. That was until I got a wedge sea hare and boy is this thing amazing! I cannot proclaim praise for this animal enough. Two weeks in and half of my tank(starting from the bottom) is looking clean and brand new. I was almost worried I had lost some healthy bacteria as that was the only explaining for my last dying off of hair algae and soft corals. I would highly recommend looking into these amazing slugs.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one and they do work very well.
Problem is once hair algae is gone they die.
My solution was once the algae is gone take it out, give it to someome else that needs it, then add astrea snails.
I have 60+ in my 120 and the algae is nowhere to be found.
The key is the algae must be short enough for the snails to eat it. If it gets to long they wont touch it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back