Sea Lettuce Harvesting

Jtleland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Day All!

Newby here asking the experts. When do you know when to harvest some of your macroalgae? Is it simply by sight? Is there a water test that triggers the need? For background, I am running a sea lettuce fuge and a Kessel H160 running 12 hours a day. My Nitrates are steady, but my phosphates spiked yesterday. Does that mean that the fuge isn't growing fast enough to pull out the phosphates?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along Ulva Lactuca grows off the coast where I live, its a coldwater species so I didn't think it could be grown in a reef setup. learn something new every day.
They live in tropical and temperate environments. In recent years, they have challenged Chaetomorpha as the dominant refugium algae.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Day All!

Newby here asking the experts. When do you know when to harvest some of your macroalgae? Is it simply by sight? Is there a water test that triggers the need? For background, I am running a sea lettuce fuge and a Kessel H160 running 12 hours a day. My Nitrates are steady, but my phosphates spiked yesterday. Does that mean that the fuge isn't growing fast enough to pull out the phosphates?
@AlgaeBarn what is your wisdom?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good Day All!

Hi there! What are your water parameters before and after the spike?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back