Sea Star HitchHiker - Injured or Starving?

ronronearr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a sea star that came over on one of my corals. I would like to keep it alive, but I am not sure whether it is a sand sifter or carnivore. It initially showed up with 5 legs and then was cruising around the tank and filtration areas. It disappeared for about 5 days then showed up missing two legs. Not sure if it got injured under the rocks, or if it got injured in the protein skimmer (it was cruising on the outside of it for a few days, I assumed eating the algae on the outside). I hope it isn't losing legs due to starvation. Can anyone help ID so I know what to feed it?

Tank Specs: FLUVAL Evo
Sea - 13 gallons
Approx 2 gallons of live rock
1 Chromie
5 Hermit Crabs
5 Snails
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Tank was cycled for 2 months before slowly adding corals over the last 4 weeks. I have managed to keep chemistries within normal ranges with weekly 15% water changes and some calcium supplements.
Last chemistries:
Salinity: 1.027
pH: 8.3
Ammonia: 0.1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15
Calcium: 420
KH: 179
Phosphate 0.1

IMG_2502.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got a sea star that came over on one of my corals. I would like to keep it alive, but I am not sure whether it is a sand sifter or carnivore. It initially showed up with 5 legs and then was cruising around the tank and filtration areas. It disappeared for about 5 days then showed up missing two legs. Not sure if it got injured under the rocks, or if it got injured in the protein skimmer (it was cruising on the outside of it for a few days, I assumed eating the algae on the outside). I hope it isn't losing legs due to starvation. Can anyone help ID so I know what to feed it?

Sea - 13 gallons
1 Chromie
5 Hermit Crabs
5 Snails
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Tank was cycled for 2 months before slowly adding corals over the last 4 weeks. I have managed to keep chemistries within normal ranges with weekly 15% water changes and some calcium supplements.
Last chemistries:
Phosphate 0.1

IMG_2502.jpg
+1 for asterina. They throw their legs to multiply. Congrats, you have two now! :cool:

OP
OP
ronronearr

ronronearr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sea - 13 gallons
1 Chromie
5 Hermit Crabs
5 Snails
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Last chemistries:
Phosphate 0.1

IMG_2502.jpg
Thank you so much for the reply! Well, if they overrun the place, at least I have an excuse to get a Harlequin Shrimp :)

OP
OP
ronronearr

ronronearr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an asterina type starfish. Most of us have them. Usually they are of no concern, it has been described that they can rapidly multiply and thus be a problem, some seem to eat coralline algae, so they have quite a few haters. They never caused me any issues.
Thank you so much for the reply! Well, if they overrun the place, at least I have an excuse to get a Harlequin Shrimp :)

OP
OP
ronronearr

ronronearr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ew. Pick em out.
Toss em. They sit on top of zoas.
They eat algae too. Turn all green. They spread. You will eventually over time have to start fighting back on em imo.
D
Im watching closely. So far no contact with Zoas. If they get out of control, ill have an excuse to get a Harlequin Shrimp! Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back