Sea Urchin has a green scab-like area

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awww thank you so much .... I do care. I am an animal lover be it land or sea.... I love this little guy. I will do everything I can to give him the best chance of survival. Thank you so much for your help - I was feeling totally helpless and cannot stand him hurting or dying. I know there is no guarantee, but at least you gave me something I can do to try to help him have a chance. Doing nothing would possibly ensure he didn't make it IMO. I will update you after this has time to take affect. Thank you again - so very much!!!
Of course, it is not a problem. It's definitely a start. If I wish to be a Veterinarian, how could I not help? Good luck to you and your spiny friend! I had a long spine black urchin! Guy was a machine for algae consumption! I will be looking forward to hearing from you!

OP
OP
moonphaz

moonphaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is an omnivore, so most any seaweed, or algae, or meat based foods will work. The important thing is that we make sure those parameters are stable. Unstable parameters causes the urchins to lose spines and rapidly decline in health as well. However, you didn't mention that it was happening all over, just near the infection site. So the infection is definitely on the move. To my understanding, the infection begins at the base of these spines as well. I am unfamiliar with breeding mesh. I just think the key things as of right now are stable water parameters, supplementation of iodine, and target feeding. All three of these are targeting the immune system to promote healing. How are the algae levels in your tank?
I have algae mildly on the back of the tank & rock ... even one of my hermit crabs has it on his shell and I have to brush it off periodically - lol. It isn't crazy bad, but plenty for feeding for sure.

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have algae mildly on the back of the tank & rock ... even one of my hermit crabs has it on his shell and I have to brush it off periodically - lol. It isn't crazy bad, but plenty for feeding for sure.
Good deal, and the reason I asked is because we just needed to try and reduce some possible variables if we could. It was not a question based upon cosmetics or negligence, by no means. Sounds like you got yourself a plan!

OP
OP
moonphaz

moonphaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a picture after 2 applications of the Iodide. I use 2 1/2 mm in a syringe and I spray it directly on the sea urchin with the pump off. Leave the pump off approximately 15 minutes so the concentration of the iodine is in the area of the urchin and can soak the area. When I spray it on the urchin he feels it for sure by his reaction, maybe stinging? Here is the picture of the urchin after these two treatment showing there is something already happening, the area is darker green except for the bottom of it which is turning white. The Urchin is moving around the tank eating like crazy & I have been able to target feed some shrimp, which s/he loves, and it has iodine in it naturally, so hopefully this is a good change. Only time will tell, but was encouraged that the change maybe some healing and wanted to share for your thoughts.

IMG_3863.JPG

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a picture after 2 applications of the Iodide. I use 2 1/2 mm in a syringe and I spray it directly on the sea urchin with the pump off. Leave the pump off approximately 15 minutes so the concentration of the iodine is in the area of the urchin and can soak the area. When I spray it on the urchin he feels it for sure by his reaction, maybe stinging? Here is the picture of the urchin after these two treatment showing there is something already happening, the area is darker green except for the bottom of it which is turning white. The Urchin is moving around the tank eating like crazy & I have been able to target feed some shrimp, which s/he loves, and it has iodine in it naturally, so hopefully this is a good change. Only time will tell, but was encouraged that the change maybe some healing and wanted to share for your thoughts.

IMG_3863.JPG
The reaction is more than likely stinging, physical contact of the infection probably doesn't feel to great. However, seems like there could be some healing going on. I would just keep applying as recommended, and just note the change!

OP
OP
moonphaz

moonphaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reaction is more than likely stinging, physical contact of the infection probably doesn't feel to great. However, seems like there could be some healing going on. I would just keep applying as recommended, and just note the change!

My thoughts too.... I'm hoping this is healing and feel it may be since he is feeling much better clearly and I haven't seen any more spines dropping off since treatment was started. I also had my LFS test all parameters to double check me and all was perfect. This will be good news for anyone who may also have an urchin with it too. Thanks again for all your help!

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts too.... I'm hoping this is healing and feel it may be since he is feeling much better clearly and I haven't seen any more spines dropping off since treatment was started. I also had my LFS test all parameters to double check me and all was perfect. This will be good news for anyone who may also have an urchin with it too. Thanks again for all your help!
It is my pleasure! Please, keep us updated and hopefully everything keeps going well!

OP
OP
moonphaz

moonphaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I kept target dosing with iodide every other day and my urchin seemed to be getting better. Part of the crusting turned white like it was regenerating, but then broke open to reveal a huge hole. I tried my best, but today he left us. He just stopped in one place, eventually all his spines stopped moving and falling off. I picked him up to see if there was any movement and there was none. I put him in the freezer just to make sure he wasn't suffering any more. I'm really sad because I thought we were making some really good progress, but in the end it just wasn't enough. Thank you for all your help. We tried at least.

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I kept target dosing with iodide every other day and my urchin seemed to be getting better. Part of the crusting turned white like it was regenerating, but then broke open to reveal a huge hole. I tried my best, but today he left us. He just stopped in one place, eventually all his spines stopped moving and falling off. I picked him up to see if there was any movement and there was none. I put him in the freezer just to make sure he wasn't suffering any more. I'm really sad because I thought we were making some really good progress, but in the end it just wasn't enough. Thank you for all your help. We tried at least.

Hey now, try not to stress yourself to much about it! I don’t want you to feel bad, but in a way it is relieving because you value life in some way, even if it’s small. That’s how it’s suppose to be. It doesn’t matter if you own cattle, an ant farm, or a herd of zebras. If you’re gonna keep an animal in captivity then you owe it the responsibility of helping to care for it.

Which is exactly what you did. You knew going in that there was a chance the lesion could be much to big and chances could be high from him to pass. But yet you still choose to try and do something about it. You didn’t have to put the time and money in, and if we’re being honest here chances are nobody would have said anything because it’s just a little ole sea urchin, right? But you didn’t see it like that. Which in my opinion, shows a lot of good character about you. I just wish humans would try at least half as hard to treat each other care and respect, as you did with your sea urchin. The world would be a different place, now wouldn’t it?

You didn’t fail, it just didn’t work out quite like we hoped. As long as you learned something from the experience, it was definitely worth the while. Thank you for showing kindness, and it was a pleasure to help. Please, feel free to reach out if you ever need assistance again!

Stickytheurchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to the. Salt water tank, 8 months. Learning a lot and like this board
I have a purple urchin that I believe has the bald disease.
I have researched and read this post.ordered test kit for iodide test and solution as well.
Does anyone have other suggestions on how to help this little guy?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back