Seachem focus

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I was at work and I got home and my wife said my daughter fed the fish while she was in the bathroom, unfortunately it wasn’t fish food it focus . I would say she dumped about 1 tbl spoon or so into the tank. I turned the skimmer up and I turned on the carbon filter. Would this much kill my corals or fish? Thanks in advance

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - just seeing this now. Any update? Focus is mostly an organic food material that will add loading to your bio filter, but shouldn't cause any real issues is your tank has a good bio filter. It also contains a mild antibiotic. I don't know if that dose of that (Nitrofurantoin) will harm your nitrifying bacteria or not. Either of these issues will cause a rise in ammonia. If you don't see that, you are all good.

Jay

OP
OP
Reefdiculous22

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - just seeing this now. Any update? Focus is mostly an organic food material that will add loading to your bio filter, but shouldn't cause any real issues is your tank has a good bio filter. It also contains a mild antibiotic. I don't know if that dose of that (Nitrofurantoin) will harm your nitrifying bacteria or not. Either of these issues will cause a rise in ammonia. If you don't see that, you are all good.

Jay
Yes. Thank you for your reply. Come to find out it was actually the metroplex that she put in the tank. As of right now everything seems to be doing ok. Do you think it will take a few days to show any negative signs?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Thank you for your reply. Come to find out it was actually the metroplex that she put in the tank. As of right now everything seems to be doing ok. Do you think it will take a few days to show any negative signs?
No, I would expect any issue with metronidazole to show in the first 24 hours, but I do think it would be more toxic than Focus would be (gram for gram).
Jay

OP
OP
Reefdiculous22

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I would expect any issue with metronidazole to show in the first 24 hours, but I do think it would be more toxic than Focus would be (gram for gram).
Jay
Jay
Looks like I dodged a bullet she dumped the majority of the vial in there. Lol

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back