Seachem prime and slime coats

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just lost a royal gramma in qt to what seemed to be some sort of bacterial infection. The fishes tail completely disappeared over the course of 24-36 hours and it had open wounds develop before the end on its tail and side plus another fin had started to decay. Should have taken pictures but there was no other marking on the fish other than flesh decaying and fins decaying. I had just put a fish through this qt tank less than a week before the gramma was put in. It was in qt for a couple days short of 4 weeks with zero symptoms and still after a tank transfer and another week in the dt it’s all happy and healthy. I made sure everything filtration wise was clean and did a couple water changes that week to get rid of any left over nitrates. I was dosing 1ml of prime per day the first three days as a precaution but never had ammonia show up. Then Sunday I tested for 0.2 ppm total ammonia which should still be well under toxic ammonia levels with a ph around 8 but did a water change and dosed 2ml just to be sure it was good. The store I bought it from seemed like there were trying to blame the seachem prime for hurting the grammas slime coat and opening it up to the infection. They also said they treat there tanks and have had no issues with any of the others they have sold. So after that little rant my question is has anyone ever experienced seachem prime deteriorating a fishes slime coat leading to tail loss and flesh wounds or is it more likely it was a nasty bacterial infection being held at bay by their medicated tanks?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Lyss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Uh. I’m no expert but I’ve been using prime for years in my FW tanks, and have used it on multiple occasions in my reef and never experienced anything negative. Like I said, I’m no expert, but it sounds to me like the LFS wants to pin this on you and avoid taking any responsibility.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Uh. I’m no expert but I’ve been using prime for years in my FW tanks, and have used it on multiple occasions in my reef and never experienced anything negative. Like I said, I’m no expert, but it sounds to me like the LFS wants to pin this on you and avoid taking any responsibility.
I’d agree with this

OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
That was my thought so I reached out to seachem to confirm but this store is a very high end reputable store where I’m from (might be the most high end and reputable store semi local) so I was a bit shocked that was the response but I’m am so new I wasn’t sure if I had missed something. One of the clownfish I got from them had lymphocystis pop up within a couple days of buying it to but that cleared up. Then I go to my lfs in town and zero issue with zero qt or medication lol. The last two fish I added were from them and they both went through separate qt and came through healthy. Luckily they will hold fish for a few weeks or more for me and keep an eye on their health for me so I think I will be buying from them from now on.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yeah, I've been through gallons of Prime and have never had an issue
Didn’t think so. Thanks for the answer. Couldn’t find anything online besides one post that turned out to be some kind of infection not slime coat loss.

OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Seachem replied and said that it will not affect the slime coat even in the case of an overdose. All that will happen in an overdose is rapid deoxidization of the water which I think we all know about. Really not sure what this guy was talking about but based on how reputable this store is I would have to assume they had a bad experience or something weird happen with it.

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

• Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

Votes: 104 24.8%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

Votes: 215 51.2%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

Votes: 30 7.1%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

Votes: 30 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 1.2%
Champion Lighting & Supply