Seachem Prime?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bottle of Seachem Prime to help establish bacteria in my tank. The directions say 1 capful treats 50 gallons of water, but they do not say if it should be used as a 1 time treatment, or a continuing treatment. Anyone know the proper way seachem prime should be used?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just made the same mistake. the first of many i am guessing. added my ammonia got my reading of 4 and then added prime thinking it was bacteria. SMH. do you think letting it sit for 24 hrs then adding the right bottle of bacteria will be ok as long as there is still some ammonia left?

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just made the same mistake. the first of many i am guessing. added my ammonia got my reading of 4 and then added prime thinking it was bacteria. SMH. do you think letting it sit for 24 hrs then adding the right bottle of bacteria will be ok as long as there is still some ammonia left?
Oh yeah you can add bacteria at any time, depending on how new your tank is and how much bacteria you add it will take a little while for the ammonia to drop to 0. Seachem reccomends using stability (which is their brand of bacteria) to cycle a tank, but you can use any bacteria. Also if you are doing a fish in cycle, use prime every other day. Prime only detoxifies ammonia, it doesn't go anywhere until the bacteria gets rid of it.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah you can add bacteria at any time, depending on how new your tank is and how much bacteria you add it will take a little while for the ammonia to drop to 0. Seachem reccomends using stability (which is their brand of bacteria) to cycle a tank, but you can use any bacteria. Also if you are doing a fish in cycle, use prime every other day. Prime only detoxifies ammonia, it doesn't go anywhere until the bacteria gets rid of it.
Ok thanks Kasey. I guess i got confused by the names of their products. i thought Prime = prime the tank (add bacteria) and Stability = stabilize levels (bind excess stuff) i got them mixed up obviously. Gosh this whole thing isn't off to a good start. fingers crossed it will only get better from here on out.
Thanks again :)

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks Kasey. I guess i got confused by the names of their products. i thought Prime = prime the tank (add bacteria) and Stability = stabilize levels (bind excess stuff) i got them mixed up obviously. Gosh this whole thing isn't off to a good start. fingers crossed it will only get better from here on out.
Thanks again :)
Yeah thats no big deal add some bacteria and wait for the ammonia to drop. I did basically the same thing lol but now my tank is cycled and I'm getting my first fish today.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME my goal is to get my first fish end of June. Good luck !

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back