Seachem Reef Glue Chemical Reaction?

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone take a stab at what happened here?

Set a tube sachem reef glue over a piece of foil (pulled off a recently opened bottle of Seachem's Reef Fusion 2)

I let the superglue that overflowed sit on that piece of foil, which was on top of a black piece of corrugated plastic.

This morning, as you can see in the picture, the black is discolored all around the foil with a white residue. The white buffs off the plastic with a little elbow grease.

Any idea at what happened here?

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 5.26.13 PM.png

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what cyanoacrylate does.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone take a stab at what happened here?

Set a tube sachem reef glue over a piece of foil (pulled off a recently opened bottle of Seachem's Reef Fusion 2)

I let the superglue that overflowed sit on that piece of foil, which was on top of a black piece of corrugated plastic.

This morning, as you can see in the picture, the black is discolored all around the foil with a white residue. The white buffs off the plastic with a little elbow grease.

Any idea at what happened here?

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 5.26.13 PM.png
It’s from the fumes. They use cyanoacrylate in enclosed spaces to get fingerprints off hard to reach places or where the dust/tape won’t work. The effect is more pronounced if a little bit of heat is applied (even just slightly over ambient temperature).

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s from the fumes. They use cyanoacrylate in enclosed spaces to get fingerprints off hard to reach places or where the dust/tape won’t work. The effect is more pronounced if a little bit of heat is applied (even just slightly over ambient temperature).
That is what cyanoacrylate does.

Crazy. Thanks. I guess I just figured the fumes would rise up, and that a tiny glob wouldn't produce that much off-gas.

It looks like the fumes are so dense they just floated around in a circle on the plastic.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back