Seafan/Gorgonian Non-Photosynthetic or Photosynthetic

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently gotten a seafan (yellow body/base purple polyps). I just need some input on whether this is a Non-Photosynthetic or Photosynthetic seafan. I am prepared to feed it regularly as it is not a hassle for me should it be non-photosynthetic. Also, I have rotifers and reef-roids on hand, would those be sufficient?

3271147C-BE33-474B-9AA6-C41B31C4ACAD.jpeg

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly not sure, might be NPS because of the purple polyps. I would still feed it reef roids even if it turns out to be photosynthetic.

OP
OP
Alexopora

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly not sure, might be NPS because of the purple polyps. I would still feed it reef roids even if it turns out to be photosynthetic.
I’m also suspecting its non-photosynthetic as its polyps are also out when the lights are off. But then again alot of my sps (porites, pocis and some acros) still extend their polyps at night so the lights test may not be reliable.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask the person or store that you got it from, if it is from Florida or Pacific. If it is from Florida, most like photosynthetic. If from the Pacific, most like non-photosynthetic. If it is NPS, then it should be fed several times a day. Mine get target fed with the food released upstream so that the current takes the food to the fan.

OP
OP
Alexopora

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask the person or store that you got it from, if it is from Florida or Pacific. If it is from Florida, most like photosynthetic. If from the Pacific, most like non-photosynthetic. If it is NPS, then it should be fed several times a day. Mine get target fed with the food released upstream so that the current takes the food to the fan.
I consulted with my dealer and she confirmed that it is NPS. I guess it makes alot of sense since I live in the Indo-Pacific region (Malaysia) which is prob why it is way more common to see NPS for sale.

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consulted with my dealer and she confirmed that it is NPS. I guess it makes alot of sense since I live in the Indo-Pacific region (Malaysia) which is prob why it is way more common to see NPS for sale.
Can you get another? :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back