Seahorses and velvet

Austin.Neff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have (2) 220 Gallon system comprised of (9) 20 Gallon tanks (3 rows of 3) and a 40 gallon sump.
Both of my systems have been affected by velvet and are running only inverts since the 18th. I plan to go fallow for at least 6 weeks at this point.
My question is this; Can i put sea horses in these tanks and add copepods/amphipods to my systems? Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all,
I have (2) 220 Gallon system comprised of (9) 20 Gallon tanks (3 rows of 3) and a 40 gallon sump.
Both of my systems have been affected by velvet and are running only inverts since the 18th. I plan to go fallow for at least 6 weeks at this point.
My question is this; Can i put sea horses in these tanks and add copepods/amphipods to my systems? Thank you!
Are you medicating the system with anything ?
Me personally realizing you have a bunch of tanks would isolate them in yet another tank and keep them in there until fallow period is completed and then you know pods will be there for food and no risk of disease.

OP
OP
A

Austin.Neff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my fish in seperate quarantine tanks with coppersafe. i would like to grow pods in the tanks while fallow.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Seahorses have been reported to contract velvet (Amyloodinium). That means, if you move pods from the infected tank to the seahorse tank, there is a good chance of transferring some disease propagules as well.

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?id=3864446&pid=11257&print=1

Jay

OP
OP
A

Austin.Neff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back