Seal was broken on a new bottle of Seachem Stability??

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got home from the lfs & the Stability bottle was leaking a little just wet mostly.
So Is this stuff still viable?
The instructs don't say to refrigerate after opening , So I'm hoping I don't have to thru the hassle of driving back to the lfs !
Also any other changes other than the instructions state You may use ? Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it' to late now. I broke into it & dosed my two tanks. I "think" I read somewhere here that putting it in the fridge is best. I don't know. dunno.gif
I bought this so I could have a way to speed up the filter on a q/t filter I do realize it's not a add it a few times & forget it additive. Nothing is Also dose my existing tanks. Lately Iv'e been interested in the diversity of bacteria living in my tanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I refrigerate this stuff?
No mention on the bottle however I think I read where the fridge is best after opening. Any Op's ?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed this thread!

It will be fine, and no need to refrigerate. Stability is an inert form of bacteria so it is very stable over a longer period of time and wider range of temperatures. The down side is that it also takes longer to become active again when added to your tank as opposed to something like Biospira.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Man ! so it's day 5 of dosing & have a lot of am . around 1+ according to my Red Sea Am test kit .. So I dosed the suggested amount & a little more than directed over the next 4 days. Iv'e not used this stuff before didn't do so hot with the live bottled either. No biggy there isn't a fish on the way. I'm looking for something that exists that will give me a quick cycle on a 20 long with AquaClear 70 for filtration. So we shall see.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
day 7 am >1.2 zero no2/no3
Oh Ya my lfs suggested his last bottle of Safe start live Bacteria. No thanks.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
day 7 am >1.2 zero no2/no3
Oh Ya my lfs suggested his last bottle of Safe start live Bacteria. No thanks.
I'm a big fan of Biospira, I've found it to be the fastest and most reliable.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may find some at a shop across town or order. I'd rather buy it local but a good drive for me.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok , It's day 15 of cycling with this SeaChem Stability. so today I'm seeing" big "changes in the water .
5/13 Am <1.2 No2 0.02
5/15 Am 0.o2 No2 1 N03 <50 !
So it's working as advertised . Not sure on the time taken though. I don't want to sound impatient but is 2 weeks about the usual time using this?
I'm going to start feeding the tank again & want to do a w/t after the Nitrites drop to zero.
Does this plan sound good to You? I did expect it to cycle in less time but also enjoying this experiment . It certainly worked more quickly than the old fashion way !
I'll be doing it next time with Dr Tims & see how that goes ! Thanks again everybody

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok , It's day 15 of cycling with this SeaChem Stability. so today I'm seeing" big "changes in the water .
5/13 Am <1.2 No2 0.02
5/15 Am 0.o2 No2 1 N03 <50 !
So it's working as advertised . Not sure on the time taken though. I don't want to sound impatient but is 2 weeks about the usual time using this?
I'm going to start feeding the tank again & want to do a w/t after the Nitrites drop to zero.
Does this plan sound good to You? I did expect it to cycle in less time but also enjoying this experiment . It certainly worked more quickly than the old fashion way !
I'll be doing it next time with Dr Tims & see how that goes ! Thanks again everybody
Seems a little slow, but not crazy off.

Stability isn't active so it takes a few days for the bacteria to "recover". Most strains of nitrifying bacteria take 24 hours to double in population which is very slow for bacteria. I would expect much faster results with Dr Tims.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok 3 days later, No Am No nitrites ! I consider this tank cycled . So My plan is to do a 75+% water change & feed this tank like I would if it had a good sized fish. I want to keep the level of bacteria up while I acquire said fish.
Sound like a good plan?
next I'll cycle with" Dr Tims "One & Only!" See how that goes.
Thanks for all the insight. I learned a lot And I hope somebody coming up behind me see's this & gains some insight also.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back