Sealing acrylic baffles w/ glass sump

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try...the problem is, that silicone doesn't bond well to acrylic and acrylic also bends under pressure, which causes another problem with making the silicone stick. I haven't come across a good adhesive/epoxy to bind the 2 together yet ( even medical grade epoxies won't do it). If there is a glass shop close to you, just have them cut you 2 pieces of window glass...not tempered or tempered is fine. Then just use the silicone. I have heard of people trying this only to find that their baffles fell over one night and caused havoc.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that it's not recommended for the reasons mentioned above. Nearly any glass shop will cut some glass for you and it shouldn't break the bank.

However, if you are going to try it, cut the acrylic baffles so you have a little room/gap between them and the glass sides. This will allow the expansion of the acrylic once it's saturated with water. Apply a bead of silicone along the lines of where the baffles where will be. Push the baffle in to the bead. Then apply additional silicone on the same side as you pushed the baffle in to re-fill the gap (for a lack of a better term). Smooth both sides as best you can. Just make sure to use plenty of silicone and let it dry for several days.

It may not look pretty and there is no guarantee it will hold, but I followed this procedure nearly three years ago and the baffles are still very secure. So it can work but in my opinion, and after saying all of this, I would still recommend getting glass cut and using it. It's what I did on the last sump I built.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably stick with the glass sheets available at Home Depot. For like $5 you can get a square panel of glass and easily score it and snap it down to the required size. I just thought cutting the acrylic with a jigsaw would be easier.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful of the edges, especially the one that will be exposed on the top of the baffle. Don't want to cut yourself reaching in while doing some maintenance.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, please use glass.. sand the edges with emory style. You will be fine.. cutting glass is not that hard.. it's not as messy either.

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely use acrylic baffles on glass. Check into @exoticmarine Taylor makes specific kits for different sizes of sumps. Very nice stuff and you silicone in with GE 100% RTV silicone purchased at home depot

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is always best. cut those just short of the dimensions, like you would with acrylic. the correct silicone to use is momentive rtv 100 series.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also don't want glass to touch glass. so make sure you have a thin (1/8") bead of silicone in between. that why the baffles need to be cut just short of the sump width.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of doing the same as the poster, and I was thinking of placing acrylic side inserts on each side of the tank that run the whole length, so then the cross pieces(baffles) will be bonded acrylic to acrylic. (also thought to make and bond upright acrylic strips for rails first to those acrylic sides and then the baffles could slide down in the slots. any thoughts on these ideas?

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used acrylic sheet for baffles in glass sumps and have never had a problem. Use enough silicone on the ends, and both sides of the panel to hold it well in place. In my experience, glass is nice to use but is not necessary.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only silicone you want to use with acrylic to glass is this stuff....made for plastics:
Silicone Plastic.jpg

HD sells it in the department where they sell acrylic sheet goods.....not in the paint department.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any issues with acrylic to glass just cut a bit short, use plenty of silicone, and let cure properly. My first one used aqueon silicone and it has held well for over 2 years now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back