Sealing or closing hole Very close to corner...use bulkhead or glass?

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all,

I want to seal a hole in the bottom of my 120gallon glass tank since I’ll be receiving my modular marine soon. the tank is 1/2 inch thick but I couldn’t find glass that thick so I got a 6”by6” 3/8in glass.
Ok here is the fun part. The hole is about an inch away from the back pane and the left. The hole itself is 2.5inches in diameter. I will be resealing the inside of the tank soon too since removing the weir took off a lot of the silicone.
so the question is:
1. Do I reseal the tank and use about 1in overhangs
2. Attach the piece of glass to the sides of the tank during the reseal? I think this will be hard. Silicone will probably go dry on me as I’m not an expert at this.
or what I was trying to avoid
3. Use a bulkhead and plug

053125A4-2914-408B-A2D9-8E998A9677AA.jpeg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id use the bulkhead and plug. This way if you sell it its not ruined. Why not use it for an overflow?

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id use the bulkhead and plug. This way if you sell it its not ruined. Why not use it for an overflow?
It was an overflow but I removed it and will be installing a modular marine ghost overflow. I don’t like seeing the big black box in the corner of the tank

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 3/8" glass will be fine as there is very little pressure on the glass. Just use a liberal amount of silicone on the patch glass and put it on the inside of the tank.

The only 'weight' that the glass will be holding back will be the head pressure above the hole to the top of the tank. It's not structural so it doesn't need to be any thicker.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 3/8" glass will be fine as there is very little pressure on the glass. Just use a liberal amount of silicone on the patch glass and put it on the inside of the tank.

The only 'weight' that the glass will be holding back will be the head pressure above the hole to the top of the tank. It's not structural so it doesn't need to be any thicker.
Thank you very much. When it comes to leaks I feel confident trusting ThePlummer. So u think the 1in over hangs are good enough right?

Back