Sealing wall behind new tank?

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to get my first big tank, Red Sea 525XL. We're in a new house and I was wondering if I should use some type of sealer on the wall behind the tank. I don't want to ruin the wall. How much water will splash up on the wall in normal use? It's regular painted sheetrock wall. And is humidity / evaporation an issue? Do I need to put a sealer on and then repaint the wall before placing the tank? The floor is tile so that's easy to fix if I spill a little water on it. I've got a BioCube 16 now so the tank size / volume differential is considerable and I didn't really think about with the small tank.

Any thoughts? Or am I over-thinking this?

Thanks.

OP
OP
J

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to get my first big tank, Red Sea 525XL. We're in a new house and I was wondering if I should use some type of sealer on the wall behind the tank. I don't want to ruin the wall. How much water will splash up on the wall in normal use? It's regular painted sheetrock wall. And is humidity / evaporation an issue? Do I need to put a sealer on and then repaint the wall before placing the tank? The floor is tile so that's easy to fix if I spill a little water on it. I've got a BioCube 16 now so the tank size / volume differential is considerable and I didn't really think about with the small tank.

Any thoughts? Or am I over-thinking this?

Thanks.

I guess I should clarify that I'm new to SW. I've only had the small tank about 6 months.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would install green Sheetrock over your existing Sheetrock behind the tank. Green Sheetrock is used in bathrooms and it won't rot if it gets wet. Regular sheetrock is made with regular paper on it and it will turn to mold and rot the sheetrock

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't that just have an overflow that goes down into a sump? There shouldn't be much, if any, splashing going on. My first salt water tank was a 55 fish only with a HOB bio wheel. That left a mark...lol. I don't think yours will.

OP
OP
J

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't that just have an overflow that goes down into a sump? There shouldn't be much, if any, splashing going on. My first salt water tank was a 55 fish only with a HOB bio wheel. That left a mark...lol. I don't think yours will.
Thanks. I'm a little nervous about the big tank so I'm probably making this too complicated.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back