Seawater vs saltmix water and water chemistry

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use seawater in my tank that is purified at a lfs who I trust. Since I live in South Florida, it's pretty easy to get good stuff. My question is this. Since the parameters of seawater are usually a little lower than the saltwater made with salt mix, is it really the best choice? I know that mg, ca and alk are often kept at higher levels in tanks, for example. I always thought natural seawater would be best, but is this a case of science trumping nature? This is all assuming that the seawater has no pollutants, which I believe to be true. Any thoughts?

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be interesting to see how the seawater you get at your lfs test for mg, ca and alk. I would tend to think seawater would be better.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually get my water at Haulover inlet on the incoming tide or on good days 6 to some times 20 miles offshore . I have tested the water and found it tests lower then mixed salts kh 8 and mg 1250 , I am thinking of starting on the mixed salts but not sure which is the best one to use

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually get my water at Haulover inlet on the incoming tide or on good days 6 to some times 20 miles offshore . I have tested the water and found it tests lower then mixed salts kh 8 and mg 1250 , I am thinking of starting on the mixed salts but not sure which is the best one to use

Very interesting. It never occurred to me that it could be the seawater. I get mine at a lfs and they run it through some sort of purification process.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually see the truck of the water guy pumping salt water into his tank at the inlet . I don't think too much happens when it gets to the lfs . he just pumps the water into their holding tanks . I just use my water strait from the bucket and have done it for years with no bad results .my corals and fish seem too like it . the best time to get the sea water is 2 hours before high tide from the inlet .

CraigG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't beat the real deal. All the specimens in your tank came from those parameters respectively. You may or may not want to buff the NSW with ALK and Ca for a little more wiggle room as it tends to leave for less error running KH at 8 or 7. IMO, it's best to be on your A game and try and maintain the lower levels of KH just depends on your level of dedication and willingness to test.
Best of luck!

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , it only takes me about 30 min to collect the salt water and I usually do a small water change when I get home .I test twice a week . I try to maintain a kh of 10 . ca between 430-450 , my mag is still high due to me not reading the test kit right , sg 1.025 (32). I went to the Macna 2013 and bought 11 different frags and one maxima clam . So far all look happy .

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My seawater had the following numbers:

Alk: 7.1kh
Mg: 1320
Ca: 400
Ph: 7.8

This is all normal for seawater except for the ph, which I cannot explain.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back