Sebae or Magnificent Nem for my Clarkii’s?

Sebae or Magnificient Nem for my Clarkii’s?

• Sebae

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Magnificient

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Other(specify in comments)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to research anemone’s for my pair of clarkii clowns I have coming in the next week or two. My tank is still fairly new(set up for 3 weeks so far), so I’m not looking to purchase a nem yet but trying to decide which one I will want to buy for my pair of clarkiis. It’s a 310gal tank. Will be a mixed reef. My plan is to get a small group of fish in the tank in the coming weeks, nowhere close to fully stocked, just starting off with 6-8 easier to care for/hardier fish for the first group. Then add a couple cheaper beginner type corals just to see how things are going, then considering adding the nem then so that it has a mostly open tank with plenty of rockwork to move about if it wants to, to find a place it will be happy without messing with any other corals.

Was considering either a magnificent or Sebae. Not a fan of bubble tips and I feel from my reading and talking to people, the carpet nems are thee most aggressive. So id rather stay away from them. I’ve read about the cipro treatment and understand most nems don’t do that well in shipping.

What would you guys recommend? Do you all have anywhere you feel is a good quality place to buy one of those nems from? Any suggestions are welcome!
3E10C3C9-633D-4D10-A5BD-F094B733EE27.jpeg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say either go with a sebae or a long tentacle, both are pretty solid choices for a beginner nem keeper. Avoid mags like the plague at this stage, they come in in such bad shape that it's unlikely they'll survive without rigorous medication. Long tentacles are my pick. They come in a rainbow of colors, don't split, and get large. Plus, they are a natural host of Clarkii.
Good luck with the build and God bless!

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, your build thread is great! Second, I think you have more than enough space and lighting to get a large Ritteri IMO. I’ve ordered mine through my LFS but it’s been hit or miss.
Thank you!! I did my best trying to make sure I had enough lighting right off the bat, but I also have extra 80/20 aluminum to build light mounts in front and back for added led bars if I feel a need down the road. And also to be sure I have plenty of spaces at different heights for different corals. I’m very excited to start filling this up with some color. Slow and steady though, trying to get a good game plan doen
I say either go with a sebae or a long tentacle, both are pretty solid choices for a beginner nem keeper. Avoid mags like the plague at this stage, they come in in such bad shape that it's unlikely they'll survive without rigorous medication. Long tentacles are my pick. They come in a rainbow of colors, don't split, and get large. Plus, they are a natural host of Clarkii.
Good luck with the build and God bless!
Yeah I read that about the magnificent. I’ve heard I guess as of late they don’t come in in the best of shape. That’s unfortunate. I may give LTA’s another look. I don’t know why I didn’t really consider those. I feel like I heard someone say they are as aggressive as carpets or they can get huge and that might be why I didn’t put much thought into them. Although I hadn’t really done much researching them either. I may take the next day or two and do some more reading into them. I do really like how they look

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LTA would be a Great choice, in a bit to get some rust on the tank. They are not nearly as "aggressive" as carpets ime.

I would not put a H. Mag in this tank for a While and expect it to go well.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted mag just because I think they look the best but like others have mentioned, they’ve probably got the highest mortality rate. I had an LTA but they do like a fairly deep sand bed. I had a section of my tank that I could keep piled up with sand behind some rocks that acted as a dam for the sand. It would be around 4-6” deep.
AC8D619D-DC2E-4C7C-AE1E-C6D482D6391B.jpeg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you are worried about carpets, but the clarkii’s should help keep fish away….gigantea are safer than haddoni and awesome. They can be difficult to find in good condition….not quite as much as mags, but not the easiest nem. LTA would also be a good choice. Sebae can be really difficult as well.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the seabae if you can find a healthy one. Any anemone you buy especially if it's a big one can get infected during shipping. It's. BEcause they expel there food during shipping and just sit in that water till you get it. Some recover and some need help.

Small anemones do better as they don't have as much food in them, but you can still have same problem.

If you are buying show piece anemone it may be good idea to be ready to do cipro to keep your anemone alive

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted mag just because I think they look the best but like others have mentioned, they’ve probably got the highest mortality rate. I had an LTA but they do like a fairly deep sand bed. I had a section of my tank that I could keep piled up with sand behind some rocks that acted as a dam for the sand. It would be around 4-6” deep.
AC8D619D-DC2E-4C7C-AE1E-C6D482D6391B.jpeg
So I have ocean direct live sand, which is very fine. Now I know you mentioned deeper sand beds. I originally only made my sand bed roughly 2 inches deep. But with powerheads going, it’s made some select areas develop deeper sand from it blowing around some, like 3 to 4 inches. You think that could be okay for an LTA? Do they ever attach to rockwork or strictly deep sand beds?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have ocean direct live sand, which is very fine. Now I know you mentioned deeper sand beds. I originally only made my sand bed roughly 2 inches deep. But with powerheads going, it’s made some select areas develop deeper sand from it blowing around some, like 3 to 4 inches. You think that could be okay for an LTA? Do they ever attach to rockwork or strictly deep sand beds?
They attach their foot to the bottom glass, or in-between the bottom glass and a rock. Personally, I would go a little deeper, they like to be able to stretch out and still have their column covered by sand. You can build a dam out of rocks to keep the sand higher in a specific spot for it, that's what I'm planning to do when my baby gets bigger. LTAs are pretty peaceful when it comes to tankmates, I've only ever lost some sick jawfish and a brittle star to my old 1'+ nem.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back