Second dose of chemiclean

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the first 48 hours treatment has reached it's end I still have some stubborn cyanobacteria hanging on in the bad area and a few bits here and there. I want to hit it with a second dose but am uncertain if I need to do the water change first or if it would be better to hit those more stubborn hangers on without, thus increasing the overall treatment strength.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the first 48 hours treatment has reached it's end I still have some stubborn cyanobacteria hanging on in the bad area and a few bits here and there. I want to hit it with a second dose but am uncertain if I need to do the water change first or if it would be better to hit those more stubborn hangers on without, thus increasing the overall treatment strength.
May be easier and better to just suck it out during the water change. Cyano is easy to remove.

OP
OP
Kaboobie

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be easier and better to just suck it out during the water change. Cyano is easy to remove.
I don't want to do manual removal as that's never going to remove it to where it's not present in the system but killing it off will do so. Even if it is temporary and inevitably reintroduced later.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KZ cyanoclean would be good choice to prevent further breakouts occurring following the instructions on the bottle and is a more natural way to keep the remaining cyano at bay I think a natural route is always better than chemical in these cases. Also if you don’t address the underlying issue that caused the bloom in the 1st pace it will inevitably return

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the change! Went through Cyano twice, once about 10 years ago and increased Nitrates, manual removal. Second time dosed Chemiclean and changed water like a madman. Couldn't get the film out of my system whatsoever. Skimmer going bananas for a long time! It worked eventually, but never again. IMO you dont want to double down and not do the change....

OP
OP
Kaboobie

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KZ cyanoclean would be good choice to prevent further breakouts occurring following the instructions on the bottle and is a more natural way to keep the remaining cyano at bay I think a natural route is always better than chemical in these cases. Also if you don’t address the underlying issue that caused the bloom in the 1st pace it will inevitably return
Cyanobacteria is to my knowledge not tied to any specific set of conditions as it can and does get out of control in all nutrient scenarios and is known to thrive in bodies of water that are hostile to most other forms of life.

Killing it off then ensuring that the system is diverse enough that it doesn't take hold and out compete everything else is to my knowledge the only way to keep it at bay.

Unless someone else with experience dosing it a second time can chime in I'll wait till tomorrow examine the tank and do a water change then repeat the dose.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanobacteria is to my knowledge not tied to any specific set of conditions as it can and does get out of control in all nutrient scenarios and is known to thrive in bodies of water that are hostile to most other forms of life.

Killing it off then ensuring that the system is diverse enough that it doesn't take hold and out compete everything else is to my knowledge the only way to keep it at bay.

Unless someone else with experience dosing it a second time can chime in I'll wait till tomorrow examine the tank and do a water change then repeat the dose.
Kz cyano clean is a bacterial based product that will outcompete the cyano ive had great results with it cyano will always exist in your system what your seeing is a bloom having something that is designed to compete with the cyano is beneficial chemiclean will kill off some of the existing beneficial bacteria in your tank it’s known as the nuclear option which I would only use if the cyano is actively killing your corals.

LateStageReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience Cyano comes from low flow, out of balance parameters or over feeding.

You need to fix these issues first otherwise you will only be breeding a stronger more resistant strain of the Cyano after every ChemiClean dose.

wait some time before dosing again. Go after the root causes before you dose again and if you still see no change then use chemiclean and keep searching.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kz cyano clean is a bacterial based product that will outcompete the cyano ive had great results with it cyano will always exist in your system what your seeing is a bloom having something that is designed to compete with the cyano is beneficial chemiclean will kill off some of the existing beneficial bacteria in your tank it’s known as the nuclear option which I would only use if the cyano is actively killing your corals.
From my experience Cyano comes from low flow, out of balance parameters or over feeding.

You need to fix these issues first otherwise you will only be breeding a stronger more resistant strain of the Cyano after every ChemiClean dose.

wait some time before dosing again. Go after the root causes before you dose again and if you still see no change then use chemiclean and keep searching.
Listen to these two individuals....or don't and see how it ends up.....

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From experience Chemiclean is an excellent product that does exactly what it is supposed to. I have used it several times over the years.
In a 400 gallon system several times recently.
2020070109512572-5340147070973387617-IMG_2749_heic-XL.jpg

I have dosed it twice only once and did not do a water change between.
If you break up the worst mats the morning of the second day and agitate areas that are still matted so the Chemiclean can get under them you wont have to ever dose twice.
The one time I did dose it twice I suspect I underestimated the working volume of my system a bit. If you aren't sure
add 10% to the dose next time.

When you are ready to remove it the best way is to let the skimmer explode and drain it into a bucket while your ATO pump is in a bucket of new saltwater. Let the ATO keep the tank full until the skimmer comes back to normal. That way you are doing a water change but with the Chemiclean concentrated by the skimmer.
I can be over with in a half a day.

I have read most of the cyano threads on here and I am pretty sure no one knows how to prevent cyano.
Too much of this or too little of that. I can cause it almost instantly in my tank by decreasing my NoPox dose. Once it is there nothing seems to reduce it again.

More interesting is the fact that I have 3 tanks on my sump. I will get cyano in one or the other at times. I have never had it in all of them at once. When I get tired of looking at it I hit it with Chemiclean and it is gone in a few days.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From experience Chemiclean is an excellent product that does exactly what it is supposed to. I have used it several times over the years.
In a 400 gallon system several times recently.
2020070109512572-5340147070973387617-IMG_2749_heic-XL.jpg

I have dosed it twice only once and did not do a water change between.
If you break up the worst mats the morning of the second day and agitate areas that are still matted so the Chemiclean can get under them you wont have to ever dose twice.
The one time I did dose it twice I suspect I underestimated the working volume of my system a bit. If you aren't sure
add 10% to the dose next time.

When you are ready to remove it the best way is to let the skimmer explode and drain it into a bucket while your ATO pump is in a bucket of new saltwater. Let the ATO keep the tank full until the skimmer comes back to normal. That way you are doing a water change but with the Chemiclean concentrated by the skimmer.
I can be over with in a half a day.

I have read most of the cyano threads on here and I am pretty sure no one knows how to prevent cyano.
Too much of this or too little of that. I can cause it almost instantly in my tank by decreasing my NoPox dose. Once it is there nothing seems to reduce it again.

More interesting is the fact that I have 3 tanks on my sump. I will get cyano in one or the other at times. I have never had it in all of them at once. When I get tired of looking at it I hit it with Chemiclean and it is gone in a few days.
Ned and I disagree, but thats what it's about, making the choice , through sage advice, he's had experience positive, mine negative with the product.....it's good he's from almost heaven....I will say that.

OP
OP
Kaboobie

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for providing me with your experiences with the product. Ned thank you in particular for the experience directly related to my question.

I appreciate everyone's input. However, I think there is a serious misunderstanding in the reefing community as to how cyanobacteria function. They are photoautotrophs. They use light and inorganic carbon (which is abundant in a reef aquarium) to grow not phosphate or nitrate. An imbalance in the system is how you get a bloom which forms mats and it can be indirectly caused by out of balance nutrients but they do not feed on them directly rather the imbalance creates an opportunity for them to out compete other organisms or it provides an environment where some other element necessary for the bacterial mats to form is made abundant. No amount of nutrient control once mats are formed will impact cyanobacteria populations directly as they do not directly benefit from those elements. Bacterial mats are often made up of more than just the primarily identifiable organism. They are communities often feeding each other through their biological functions.

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did this, dosed and waited 2 days. It was still there. Didn’t change water, dosed again. Waited 2 days it was gone. Changed 20% on that third day (so 5 days since initial dose). Everything looks great, it did its job wonderfully

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cyano prefers ultra low nitrate environments.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back