Second hand tank issues

littlefishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are on the right track.
If you have easy access to nsw like I do, you can make your reef life easy w live rock, 10%/wk w/c, and soft corals or lps. Then you don't have to worry about all the elements and minerals for now, just temp (my a/c does that) and top-off (ato is worth the $) with 0 tds water.
Later you can go ctazy with sps or all macro, biotopes, etc!
Here is a tank run with no filtration you might like:

OP
OP
R

Robinski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if this will help but i find it quite shocking you are losing that much water. I would consider a potential slow leak. even my 300+ gallon systems don’t evaporate at that rate
I think I found part of the reason. The filter sock is so old and matted it backs up the water in the sock after a few hrs. So that is 1 litre just there.

OP
OP
R

Robinski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went and grabbed a couple of litres of demineralised water plus am changing 5-10 litres (2-3g) for nsw on a daily basis to try and get the salinity down. Will measure again tomorrow.

Had a stressful day. The clowns started fighting last night (well one asserting dominance over the other) and when I woke up the smaller one was dead on the floor. Went and got a sheet of perspex to cover the tank as I have an aquaone net system on order via online shopping due 3wks. As I don't have coral and only the mariglo light that comes with the aquaone package I assume the filtering of light through the perspex won't be an issue (please tell me if it will). It should help with the evap issue too.

Second stress today was heavy winds put the power out for 6hrs. So I lit the wood fire to try and keep the room warm for the fish. It dropped to 23c but all ok.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back