Second opinion on dragonet/gobie qty in 120 gallon

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120g has lots of live rock and sand from TBS, fuge with live rock and chaeto, and an unbelieveable amphipod population everywhere you look at night (scuds). I'm sure I have a ton of copepods as well. The tank has been with rock and critters for a year and 3 months.

Sitting here late at night I'm wondering if I might have overstocked my tank with pod eaters. I have a mystery wrasse, two green banded gobies, a yellow watchman goby, and a new ruby red dragonet. The yellow watchman isn't an issue as he only eats in a 3" radius around him. The wrasse is well fed on pellets and LRS, but he does hunt all day. I see the green banded gobies eating pods. But this Ruby Dragonet is a flippin' vacuum cleaner!

I didn't get a mandarin because there was competition in the tank. However, the Ruby Red has surprised me with how he eats constantly for such a small little guy.

I don't think I've over done it, but I'd like to get another opinion just in case.

Thanks in advance!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re good.
I have 5 wrasses 2 of them are blue stars and had a breeding pair of ruby reds and a mandarin for years.
I sold off the breeding pair of rubies 2 years ago.
I don’t see any pods but I k own they are there as my mandarin is pretty well fed.

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gone thru a similar situation but in my case I’ve introduced a 5 line wrasse that wiped the pods population. As result 1 healthy mandarin has died 5-6 months later and the other has gone to a friend tank and recovered.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back