Second time I've lost the fish disease battle.

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I've been through fish battles for two times in the past few years and lost all my fish twice... The first time I lost 12 of my beloved fish including a yellow tang, powder brown, sailfin tang, clownfish, chromis etc... after that I decided to keep it low-profile by buying just the fish that I really wanted, and bought a purple tang and a yellow eye Kole Tang and both are gone within 6 or 7 weeks... It makes me think my tank is not ready to host any fish until I cure it with whatever it has..

If you wondering if I ever quarantine a fish? Noupe... I've never quarantine a fish before and maybe that's why I'm going through this.. but I just want to know what to do next.

To be honest, my first fish died because of Ick I guess.. they all had white spots and within 2 or 3 days they were all gone.. but I Also noticed cloudy eyes and they were losing the skin... had no time to take out and treat any fish because I didn't want to stress them at all but ended losing them. This time my purple tang came with Ick... but he was doing just fine, sometimes I saw white spots but he was eating and he was fine for me.. After 1 month of having the purple tang and saw that he could live with the ick, I added the yellow eye kole tang and they were just fine... 4 days ago I woke up and the kole tang was full of ick, he didn't want to eat and he was also losing its skin like he was burning.. I bought Kick-Ich treatment to treat the tank and I thought it could help but I had to take the kole tang out and like 30 mins later he died but after that, my purple tang didn't show signs of ick, but his eyes were super cloudy and losing its color and skin also... and when he stopped eating 24h after he died.. reading a bit i think it might be a fungus more than ick or bacterial infection.

I just want to know what I can use to treat my tank.. its full of corals: sps, lps, softies, zoas.. And thats why I don't treat with copper.. Its a 115 total volume tank. And I need some guide please!
Untitled.png

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses. Assuming your DT is infected with ICH, you need to let it remain fallow (fishless) for 76 days. Suggest you read thru the quarantine sticky. It is filled with invaluable information.
I’ve learned my lesson—everything and anything wet gets quarantined before entering my DT.

OP
OP
G

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses. Assuming your DT is infected with ICH, you need to let it remain fallow (fishless) for 76 days. Suggest you read thru the quarantine sticky. It is filled with invaluable information.
I’ve learned my lesson—everything and anything wet gets quarantined before entering my DT.

Thank you, yup I guess that too. Everyone who's not quarantining their fish one day will... and hope it's not because of some big loss. And what about bacterial infectos or fungus.. how to treat them?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tomont (encysted) stages of both ich and velvet attach to hard surfaces (liverock, coral skeletons, snail shells, even glass, though not as much) in your tank, and can remain, sleeping and multiplying, for up to six weeks (for velvet) or 72 days (for ich). For that reason, if you add new fish to your tank before about 76 days, there will be a level of risk that those fish will contract the disease - even if they came in clean - and this will begin all over again for you.

This enforced waiting period ("fallow") would be a great time for you to set up a quarantine tank. I know that you haven't had to previously, and it's extra trouble - but these diseases are far more prevalent than they had been in the past.

~Bruce

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back