Secret Santa Nano Build Give Away!

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I though the R2R secret Santa idea was great. Recently I have sold a lot of my old aquarium gear (filters, old tanks, lights, etc.) and have accumulated some funding. The only thing I didn't sell was a 5gallon marineland cube. After contemplating what I would give for the secret Santa, I decided to give the tank away and use the money I made from selling used equipment to fund the build. I encourage everyone to sign up for the R2R secret santa, it seems like a fun idea.

Here is the link to sign up. The directions are simple.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r2r-secret-santa-2018-official-registration-thread.507489/

So, here I will show off the build. I will redo the tank with a new pump, light, and filtration system. It will be the perfect desk aquarium. Who ever I get for secret Santa, will receive this tank shipped in time for Christmas!

Below is the tank.
1.jpg

2.jpg

I started the deconstruction last night. I removed the back panel and assessed the filtration section.

3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

The next step is to re seal the glass and start planning the new and improved filtration system. I have done many AIO tanks so this system will not just be thrown together. I promise by the end of this build, it will be a perfect nano system.

I encourage all suggestions and everyone to sign up for secret santa !

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess step one is to check the seals, so far so good. I'm going to let it sit full for 2/3 days. As it is a small tank, I have already made good headway with the new filtration system.

I ordered a new pump and light, will post pictures as they arrive.

IMG_2239.JPG

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a lot of progress this weekend, the light should arrive tomorrow with the pump (took advantage of black Friday). My question is has anyone ever shipped a tank like this? I will likely pack it in foam or something to that degree, I want to make sure it arrives to the person intact. Thanks.

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light arrived. It is an ABI 12W bulb. Since this is a give away tank, I didnt want to break the bank on something like an AI light or a Kessil (i think this can be understood), so to stay on budget, I ordered this bulb. I was actually very impressed on the quality of the light. My goal was to allow someone to setup a softie, LPS, mushroom dominant tank, this light will definitely achieve this result. I am constructing the fixture as we speak. Pictures soon to come.

The filter overhaul is also going well, just waiting on the pump before I silicone in the new AIO system.

81eUhRSL%2BxL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the light on the tank. It gets great coverage, no dark spots at all. It is a really deep whitish blue, perfect for LPS and softies.

0.jpg

I have started on the filtration system. If you scroll up, you can see what the back of the filter panel looked like before. I notched out the foot for the media slide. I do not know why it was a solid piece, to begin with, it seems to really obstruct water flow and filtration, but no more. Also, I removed the bars from the back of the panel, I am going to install two acrylic baffles, allowing for a heater to reside in the second chamber. I will post the new and improved media slide once it sets.

0-1.jpg

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a lot of progress this weekend and the nano is looking good. Pictures soon to follow. As the secret santa messages have gone out, I know who the lucky winner is. ;)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a lot of progress this weekend and the nano is looking good. Pictures soon to follow. As the secret santa messages have gone out, I know who the lucky winner is. ;)

Very Nice! Merry Christmas

Back