Secure means of using camera view functions of Apex Fusion, plans to make more compatible and modern?

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, R2R

I'm looking to add a camera with the video stream of my tank to my Apex Fusion controllers, and I see several options for live streams. However, I don't see any options for adding usernames and passwords for authentication, so I am assuming Apex wants you to pass those clear text across the internet or hope you and your camera might know how to use and have the means to authenticate and obfuscate this with TLS or something. Opening the cameras they suggest for port forwarding seem very dangerous.

Aside from accessing the camera somewhere else and non using anything from Neptune Systems, has anyone found a solution they use today for accessing the many cameras offered today that require app registration and generally don't permit direct access to the camera? Is there anyone from Neptune Systems that can comment on the roadmap or plans to update this? Are there any better features in the HYDROS solution?

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crickets... I'm not surprised.

This doesn't seem to be a feature that Neptune is interested in updating. I suspect if they did anything it would be to partner with some other system and bring out there own camera(s). Most of the camera services these days seem to use their own hosting with proprietary security, without your own secondary web hosting I doubt a browser based app like Fusion is going to have a good solution.

I use to have it working on the classic dashboard with port forwarding but could never get it to work on Fusion. Since I switched my ISP to Starlink there is no port forwarding. I have now (begrudgingly), bought cameras in a new ecosystem and view them in their native app.

OP
OP
OfficeReefer

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. I have a brand new Junior 3 or whatever model that I still haven't opened and may just sell. I'm going to look at Hydros and see if they have this feature. If they do, I'll sell my Apex gear.

For all automation companies out there here's what I care about and what I want or rather need in a controller:

• I will not buy aquarium controller products for remote control of power. I can do this for free and the model Hydros uses is one that has an API and the feature already.
  • I will not buy a controller for remote control or rather viewing of pH and Temp, I can get this for free and there are other ways too.
  • I will buy a controller for water testing, this is helpful and the Trident has been the most useful of the items second to the DOS water change.
  • I will buy a controller for the abilities to do auto water changes, I really dislike this.
  • I will buy a controller for the abilities to change my filters or rollers, but they do not yet do this. This is also why I remain halfway in the Red Sea app. Maybe I can get them to add a camera?
  • I will buy a controller for the ability to integrate a view of these things, because knowing my equipment is on and seeing the equipment on visually adds more piece of mind.
Honestly, I think they realized early on that many of their modules and add-ons were not needed from them if one had a camera to watch the others do their thing. I think I will buy another version or two from other companies and see what I find.

OP
OP
OfficeReefer

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crickets... I'm not surprised.

This doesn't seem to be a feature that Neptune is interested in updating. I suspect if they did anything it would be to partner with some other system and bring out there own camera(s). Most of the camera services these days seem to use their own hosting with proprietary security, without your own secondary web hosting I doubt a browser based app like Fusion is going to have a good solution.

I use to have it working on the classic dashboard with port forwarding but could never get it to work on Fusion. Since I switched my ISP to Starlink there is no port forwarding. I have now (begrudgingly), bought cameras in a new ecosystem and view them in their native app.
If you have an extra RaspberryPi and your camera supports RTSP or works with Synology NAS, you could do something like this and not forward to the camera directly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back