Securing Gorgonian/Larger Coral to Aquascape

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am still working my way through some beginner soft corals and have recently graduated from mushrooms and zoas to photosynthetic gorgonians. So far super glue has been sufficient to attach everything to my aquascape, but I fear that my single application of superglue may not keep the gorgonians in place long term (after acclimating I used super glue gel to attach the gorgonians to my live rock and they have been in place for about 24 hours).

As such, I purchased some epoxy and plan to use this in conjunction with the glue to keep the gorgonians secure. First of all, is there any reason why this would be a bad idea? I like the current placement so the last thing I would want to do would be to stick my arm in the tank needlessly only to dislodge the glue and make things worse. Secondly, any tips or method to the madness? My plan was to use the epoxy to fill in the gaps in my rockwork and secure things a little better by overlapping onto the frag plug.

This is my first time with a reef tank (last experience was a FOWLR) so any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you mean its glued down, and you want to add some epoxy to glue it more? I woudn't bother if its secured already, the gorgonian will eventually encrust at the base to give itself more stability anyway.

EDIT: I'm picturing a small frag here, I don't know how large your coral is, a large coral might change my answer

OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the help guys. It was pretty large so I decided to add the epoxy to be safe. Here's to hoping I didn't add too much epoxy!

Thanks again!

OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211012_172151.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back