Seeding a new tank-Help

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My names Michael, I have been doing Freshwater for two years and Saltwater for just over a year now.

I just recently decided to bump up to a Red Sea Reefer 250 from a 15g Nano (took the plunge)

My Reefer 250 is all ready to go and I wanted to get things moving. I am planning on seeding with two small bags of media, one medium size bag, and some rock. My question is, I have never seeded a tank before. How fast does this happen? I was told by a friend who also has a Reefer 250 that I should be able to move livestock over immediately? Do I need to add some form of ammonia to keep the bacteria "fed," or just let the fish eat and poop and let them handle it?

Appreciate any advice! I want this transition to go as smoothly as possible for both me and my Livestock. Currently I only have a Wrasse, two clowns and a Spotted Goby; a Hammerhead coral, large torch and some Zoas; along with two small anemones (recently split).

Thanks!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a bottle of Bio Spera bacteria and some Dr Tims ammonia concentrate and have never had a problem.

Oh, and Welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a bottle of Bio Spera bacteria and some Dr Tims ammonia concentrate and have never had a problem.

Oh, and Welcome to R2R!!!

Thanks! I'm so excited to get my new Red Sea up and running.

So just dump the bottle in and add a little Ammonia and I should be ok to start transferring over?

I also wanted to add some Dry Rock, I have seen very mixed responses if it should be soaked/cured or not. What is your opinion?

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never add ammonia in this case, see this thread

Ammonia is only used when no other animals are present

When you buy rocks for the new tank, simply buy skip cycle rocks we review there

Page one has enough details for you to skip cycle on the new setup.

So because I have fish already all I need is to add the Bio Spera?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your new tank is setup and wet, you add bio spera to tank, so long as their isn’t any fish present in the new tank you can add ammonia to tank to help build bacteria population. If you already have fish in new tank, or plan to add fish in tank shortly after getting it wet then just add bio spera and the fish waste will help build the bacteria population. Just make sure you don’t add more fish to tank than the bacteria population is ready for as you will get an ammonia spike. I always add bio spera to my QT tanks and enough ammonia to get the reading up, then add fish when ammonia reading is at 0 ppm.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your new tank is setup and wet, you add bio spera to tank, so long as their isn’t any fish present in the new tank you can add ammonia to tank to help build bacteria population. If you already have fish in new tank, or plan to add fish in tank shortly after getting it wet then just add bio spera and the fish waste will help build the bacteria population. Just make sure you don’t add more fish to tank than the bacteria population is ready for as you will get an ammonia spike. I always add bio spera to my QT tanks and enough ammonia to get the reading up.

The fish aren't in there yet but I was hoping to add them within the next few days. The water is ready, I'm just allowing the sand to settle so it's not brown. How long on average should I wait before I stock any-more fish? I do have bacterial cultures I am adding as well (as stated before) but I'm guessing there will be some die-off with a lack of food for them?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish aren't in there yet but I was hoping to add them within the next few days. The water is ready, I'm just allowing the sand to settle so it's not brown. How long on average should I wait before I stock any-more fish? I do have bacterial cultures I am adding as well (as stated before_ but I'm guessing there will be some die-off with a lack of food for them?
The general rule of thumb is you can double the amount of fish every month. Also, how big r the fish, one of my tangs adds enough waste to my tank to equal all the Chromis, clown fish, and wrasses together.

Follow the instructions on the bottle is always the best advice.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general rule of thumb is you can double the amount of fish every month. Also, how big r the fish, one of my tangs adds enough waste to my tank to equal all the Chromis, clown fish, and wrasses together.
My fish aren't very large. One Goby, maybe two inches long, two clown fish, both maybe two inches? And a wrasse, about 2.5 inches. So there won't be much of a bio-load.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish aren't very large. One Goby, maybe two inches long, two clown fish, both maybe two inches? And a wrasse, about 2.5 inches. So there won't be much of a bio-load.
I would wait at least a month and check ammonia to make sure.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any live sand or life rock to tank?

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait at least a month and check ammonia to make sure.

Im guessing I would be ok adding coral though? Since there isn't really waste?

Also, I'm not sure if it matters but I will be adding a small refugium as well. Maybe some Cope-pods? Would that matter?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im guessing I would be ok adding coral though? Since there isn't really waste?

Also, I'm not sure if it matters but I will be adding a small refugium as well. Maybe some Cope-pods? Would that matter?
I would hold off little for corals.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rebuilt my tank at the beginning of the year and kept the same rock but replaced the sand and my tank went thru a mini cycle which is why I would hold off for a couple of months to see how your new tank responds.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rebuilt my tank at the beginning of the year and kept the same rock but replaced the sand and my tank went thru a mini cycle which is why I would hold off for a couple of months to see how your new tank responds.

Gotcha. Will do.

Thanks for the advice. Now, dry rock wise, what is your advice on that? Because I am finding so many mixed opinions on it.

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 90 gallon 5 months ago. I waited 2 months to put fish in. I still have not put much coral in it yet. Just some zoa's and a hammer. If you can hold out for 2-4 months. I think that would be the best.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 90 gallon 5 months ago. I waited 2 months to put fish in. I still have not put much coral in it yet. Just some zoa's and a hammer. If you can hold out for 2-4 months. I think that would be the best.

I could see if it was a brand new tank and I didn't have bacteria? But that seems a bit extreme considering I have media and rock with BB on it?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back