Seeding a new tank-Help

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Will do.

Thanks for the advice. Now, dry rock wise, what is your advice on that? Because I am finding so many mixed opinions on it.
I used CaribSea live sand and dry life rock as have many others with good success. I didn’t want unwanted pest in my tank and using dry rock helps you.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to give @Tyler Bullock some respect, he showed something that most of us, including myself, aren’t able to show, PATIENCE, LOL!!!

Last edited:

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My names Michael, I have been doing Freshwater for two years and Saltwater for just over a year now.

I just recently decided to bump up to a Red Sea Reefer 250 from a 15g Nano (took the plunge)

My Reefer 250 is all ready to go and I wanted to get things moving. I am planning on seeding with two small bags of media, one medium size bag, and some rock. My question is, I have never seeded a tank before. How fast does this happen? I was told by a friend who also has a Reefer 250 that I should be able to move livestock over immediately? Do I need to add some form of ammonia to keep the bacteria "fed," or just let the fish eat and poop and let them handle it?

Appreciate any advice! I want this transition to go as smoothly as possible for both me and my Livestock. Currently I only have a Wrasse, two clowns and a Spotted Goby; a Hammerhead coral, large torch and some Zoas; along with two small anemones (recently split).

Thanks!
Welcome to R2R!,

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read, "phosphates," and that in some cases Ammonia.
LOL, I have never heard of, or experienced that. I have to add Neophos to my tank to keep my phosphates up. I have heard of live rock adding stuff to your tank if not properly prepped before hand. Many, many, many, and did I say many reefers have started with dry rock and have had great success. If anything, I have noticed a rise in dino issues, myself included, and I feel it has to do with starting with dry rock because it doesn't always add what the tank need quickly enough. Don't quote me on that as its only an observation.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I have never heard of, or experienced that. I have to add Neophos to my tank to keep my phosphates up. I have heard of live rock adding stuff to your tank if not properly prepped before hand. Many, many, many, and did I say many reefers have started with dry rock and have had great success. If anything, I have noticed a rise in dino issues, myself included, and I feel it has to do with starting with dry rock because it doesn't always add what the tank need quickly enough. Don't quote me on that as its only an observation.

I thought it was odd myself, I started diving into the deep web and so many people swore by curing even dry rock.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was odd myself, I started diving into the deep web and so many people swore by curing even dry rock.
I just rinsed it off before adding to my tank to get rid of any loose particles. Caribsea life rock has bacteria spores sprayed on it, you don't want to rinse it off as you want the bacteria in your tank. So a quick rinse works. The main drawback to using dry rock is that it may take a little longer for coraline algae to start to grow.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back