Seeding dry rock with live rock, starting new tank.

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I am starting a 20 gallon nano. I have always used live rock from my LFS for my aquascape when starting a tank. However, this time, I am using all dry rock that I got from BRS. I realize cycling takes time.....especially when using dry rock, and I'm not trying to hurry the process....what I am trying to do is to eliminate or at least shorten the UGLY PHASE.

Here is my question: Would it be better to cycle my dry rock in:

• By itself, Outside of my display tank and in a plastic food grade container with a lid, heater & powerhead.
  • In the same as above but add a single piece of live rock from one of my other reef tasks to "seed" the dry rock.
  • Inside the display tank, dry rock only with heater and powerhead
  • Or inside the display task, dry rock along with a piece of live rock from another reef tank/ of live rubble/sand.
Or perhaps there is another method that you think would be better. Thank you so much for your help

Josh

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your last option with some light being ramped up to prevent death of coralin algae.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's clean dry rock, option 4. I'd only go with option 2 if it's dirty dry rock (lots of trapped organic matter). In which case id actually prefer to acid wash it then go to option 4.

Best thing you can do at this point is add diversity, imo. Live rock and real live mud or sand.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 2 or option 4. I think you're better off getting a piece of fresh maricultured live rock over using some from an existing system but using some that has obvious sponge growth is definitly beneficial. See Aquabiomics article to see how beneficial maricultured live rock is. In addition, maricultured live rock is the best way to get the diversity of beneficial sponges that recycle the labile DOC that can be detrimental to corals. Read Forest ROhwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" and watch these videos:

Last edited:

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with option 1 as you can use either lanthum choride or gfo to strip away the phosphates until the rocks stop leaching and will be easier to do 100% waterchanges to lower nitrates. If you want to add live rock you can just add it into your display tank when your dry rocks are cured and good to go.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would seed it with Media or live rock from a current tank. When I went from a 15 to a 54 I just seeded as much media as I could a month before. Moved all the rock to the new tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back